Chapter Twenty-One

On a warm day in early May, Mary received James in her sitting-room to discuss her lying-in. The weather was fine at last, and a mild spring breeze fluttered the curtains. Ordinarily, men did not have any part in discussing the lying-in, as it was an entirely-female affair. However, given the circumstances, Mary had thought it necessarily to share the details with her husband.

Despite the pleasantness of the temperate air warming her bones, Mary felt tense. Sarah had always been the soul of discretion, yet she was conscious that any movement the girl made could make James aware of her presence; only a door separated them. At least the door that distinguished the large sitting-room from Sarah's bedroom was of thick, hearty wood. Mary would have gladly met James elsewhere if it had been possible, even though walking had become uncomfortable, but the physician had advised her against any exertion.

"You're going to be alright, aren't you?" James asked.

Mary turned her head; she had been straining to hear the voices that floated through the window. She glanced at James, who was eyeing her warily.

"I will be fine," she assured him. Only a man, who had never heard or seen anything of childbirth, could think that merely discussing childbirth would distress her enough to induce it. If only it were that easy! "Besides, the physician says that if the child is born anytime in the next month, it will most likely be alright."

James cleared his throat. It was evident that he did not think likely was good enough.

"I am calm," she added, to placate him further.

With a slight nod, James began. "The arrangements for the blessing are settled. Only, I was wondering if perhaps you might be willing to alter one aspect of the plan."

Mary's brows furrowed slightly, and she looked up at him. "What do you mean?"

"After you leave the church, I was considering that you might retire to a room in my chambers."

"Your chambers?" Mary repeated in surprise. Such a thing was not done. Men were not permitted to enter the room that housed the child-bed; the room was to be sacred, quiet, dark, and filled only with women.

"I would not come in, of course," James was hasty to add. "I would not wish for anything untoward. However, I must confess, I am taken with the idea of having you closer once more."

Despite her initial concerns, Mary felt her heart softening. She extended a hand to James, and he came to take it up, then he kissed it.

"You would not be permitted to remain there within hearing," Mary reminded him gently, stroking his hand.

"No - I do not think I could bear it," James admitted. "Betimes I shall work on answering petitions, or perhaps go for a ride through London..." His eyes lifted to hers. "Yet as soon as I hear word of our child's first cries, I will have less time to wait before I see both of you."

Mary gripped his hand a bit more tightly, feeling a surge of love for her husband.

Emotions aside, however, there was more to consider. The chance to be closer to James would be a boon for some reasons: she would not have to move Sarah out of her chambers. If Sarah had returned to the servants' quarters, it would have been impossible to disguise her pregnancy, at least when she was in the process of giving birth. And that would make it more difficult to conceal if Sarah had to send the child to Mary.

On the other hand, if Mary was stationed closer to the king's apartments - indeed, only separated from his bedroom by a few doors - it might be more difficult to bring a child into such a place secretly.