Chapter Thirteen

"Are you certain?" the queen asked.

The queen had asked Sarah this twice already, even after Sarah had described what she was experiencing, and the queen had confirmed them all as positive signs of conception.

"I am certain of what I am feeling," Sarah said carefully. She realized now that it would be foolish and heartless to give the queen hope if she was not quite certain. Yet given Sarah's inexperience with such matters, she could not be altogether sure.

Beginning to pace, the queen nodded. "Well, it does sound as though you might have conceived," she murmured. Pausing in the middle of the room, she glanced back at Sarah. "You are young and healthy. It would not at all be out of the realm of possibility that it should happen so quickly."

Sarah swallowed, wondering if any part of the reason for her unsettled stomach was fear. Up until now, the idea of carrying an unborn child, birthing that child, and then giving the child up to the queen had been merely that: an idea. And of course, besides the grief of losing her child, she would also have to contend with the terror that would plague her, wondering if the king or anyone else would discover their secret treachery.

She realized, belatedly, that she had moved her hand to her belly, as if to protect the child that might be growing within.

"You will have to wait to tell anyone, of course," the queen went on, resuming her prowl of the room. Sarah watched her with concern. "Wait at least two months from now. That way, you can be quite sure you have conceived, and that the child remains living."

Though Sarah's lower lip trembled, she quickly pressed her lips together. She had barely even considered the possibility of losing the child in the womb. If anyone would know about such possibilities, though, it might be the queen.

"At that time, it shall be announced that I am expecting a child. I will keep you here at Whitehall so that you do not encounter others. Your pregnancy will be revealed later, so as to avoid any suspicion about its correlation with mine." The queen continued to pace and continued to muse. "And if anyone marvels at our both being with child at the same time, well, it would not be altogether surprising, considering that we were both on holiday at the same time. Such things do happen more frequently, I suppose, in such pleasant circumstances..."

A bit dizzied by watching the queen stalking around in circles, Sarah wondered if she might sit down. Though the queen had never actively been involved in politics to Sarah's knowledge, she realized now that if the queen had chosen to do so, she could have been quite adept at it. She was far more clever than people might have realized.

"Might I sit, Your Majesty?" she asked weakly.

The queen froze then and looked back at her. Upon seeing the dazed look in Her Majesty's eyes, Sarah realized that her employer had perhaps forgotten she was there.

"Yes, of course, my dear," the queen said warmly, her voice returning to its softer, more dulcet tones.

Sarah breathed a sigh of relief, hoping that she would no longer have to hear the queen explaining the plans at a gallop. She sank into the nearest chair.

"This is wonderful, Sarah." The queen took a few steps back closer to her, and offered her hands. Looking up at her, Sarah took them. "It is a very noble thing you are doing. No one else shall know of your sacrifice, but I will, and I thank you for it."

Feeling incapable of speech, Sarah managed to nod.

"I will see that a physician sees to you," the queen continued. "You shall have the best of care, of course - better than anyone else in your station would."