Chapter Nine

Author's Note: Thank you for sticking with this story so far!  I have loved sharing it with you, and even more exciting events are coming!  The image is of the Pulteney Bridge in Bath, which was finished in the 1700s, so a bit after this story.  Still, I thought you might like to see a picture of Bath.  Thank you again so much for reading, and especially to fromthedeskrcabbott and Charlotte_140 for all of your feedback and votes c:

The air in the cramped carriage was unbearably hot, and the small window provided only paltry relief. It didn't help that there were three other female servants piled in with her. Sarah had not often ridden in a carriage, and the strange motion had unsettled her stomach at first. After two days of travel, however, she had started to grow accustomed to it. Besides, the discomfort could scarcely diminish Sarah's excitement about their holiday to Bath.

Gradually, the rolling green hills of the countryside, dotted with sheep and the occasional inn, gave way to more closely-clustered buildings. Sarah leaned forward and peered out the window. Outside, the air was cooler, with a light breeze. She inhaled in relief. People strolled sedately along the quiet street between little markets.

The carriage jostled slightly as they bumped onto a bridge. They crossed over a river, much smaller and cleaner than the Thames. Sarah looked at it in wonder, hardly able to help but smile. She hid it quickly before sitting back more fully on the carriage seat. Her companions were rather stern older women, and hadn't been very exciting travel companions. Somehow she felt they might disapprove of her giddiness. How Sarah wished it had been Bess there beside her! At least she would have Philip with her in a few days' time.

They passed many more buildings, all built in a similar style; Sarah wondered how she should ever remember her bearings, if she had the chance to leave the house where the queen would be staying. Perhaps the queen would ask Sarah to escort her to the baths. Sarah thrilled at the thought of seeing something so ancient. Perhaps history would not have interested her had she been forced to study it; yet, as she had had little education, the mysteries of the past fascinated her.

Thinking of the ancients was comforting in a strange way - realizing her own smallness by comparison. She could not do any wrong that God could not, in His Providence, mend. And He who had formed the world, and had seen all things, had sovereignty over her little life. Her participation in the queen's plot would likely be the only important thing she ever did. And, if all went well, anyway, she would not have any recognition for it. Given the consequences, she certainly did not want recognition for it.

Having grown lost in her thoughts, she was jostled out of them when the carriage bumped again over the road, then drew to a halt. She looked out at the large pale building, its smooth front filled with rows of even windows. They had arrived.

--

The royal carriages entered Bath a few hours after the servants' caravan, for the staff had been sent ahead to make sure that the rooms were sufficiently prepared for the queen.

For the majority of the journey, Mary had ridden in solitude, alone with her thoughts. James rode in his own carriage, which would take him on the next long stage of his journey. He had determined to go as soon as he had seen Mary settled. Mary would have the use of her own private carriage while in Bath, as was proper.

Yet for the last leg of the road from London to Bath, James had joined Mary in her carriage. She had occupied herself with gazing out the window at the countryside, for he had little of consequence. From time to time, he mentioned activities she might do in Bath, and she had answered him politely.

When they arrived at their lodgings in Bath, he had hopped down from the carriage and had offered her his hand to help her out. She thanked him softly, but even once she stood firmly on the ground, James did not release her hand.