Chapter Fifteen

Author's Note: Thank you so much for continuing to read this story! I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy writing it. I am, as ever, very grateful for your votes and comments. Just to let you know, we're doing a small time-jump here, of about two and a half months. You all are very bright though, so I'm sure you would have noticed it even if I hadn't mentioned it :)

Despite Mary's fears, the baby was not lost. She would not know for certain that the child yet lived until the baby quickened; that would be a few months hence. Yet by December, the physician was confident that she was at a lowered risk of miscarriage. In fact, he even approved of Mary's plan to make an announcement to the kingdom.

"I know just the occasion!" James declared.

He was sitting in bed beside her as snow fell in soft flakes outside the window. Mary was still dressed simply, sans corset, on account of the physician's visit, and she was resting in bed. Though her ill feelings had abated, she did not mind the chance to be close to James, his hand resting affectionately on her middle.

"I wait with bated breath, my lord," Mary said with a smile.

"The Christmas ball."

He gave a decisive nod, then continued stroking her belly. As yet, the little swell was still quite small; no one but the two of them with their private knowledge could possibly notice it. Well, and of course, Sarah knew of it.

"It is perfect." Mary leaned in to kiss him sweetly. "There could be no better time to celebrate the miracle of life."

"Mary," James continued, taking one of her hands, "I have been thinking, as well, that it is time for both of us to return to St. James'."

Though she schooled her features and let no expression escape them which might betray her feelings, Mary swallowed. She had feared returning to St. James' for a few reasons. The first was that she did not wish to lose the baby there, where her shame would be compounded by having so many people close by. The second was that it had been quite lovely to be here with James, for there were very few other people here besides servants, and they had almost been able to set it up as a sort of love-nest.

"I must confess," she said, trying to smile as she stroked his chest softly, "that I have rather liked having you to myself."

She comforted herself, however, that James had left off his philandering with Catherine Sedley because he wanted God to bless them with a son. Now that she was with child, she expected that James would remain faithful out of that same fearful reverence for God - if only so that the babe might live to be born.

James pressed a kiss to her brow. "I have enjoyed it as well, my love. But now that your pregnancy is more settled, shall we not share our joy with others?"

Given the religious and political sentiments in the court, Mary was not so sure of that. On the contrary, she was quite certain that many of the smug Protestants, who were just waiting for James to die so they could put one of their own on the throne, would froth at the mouth when they heard the news.

"It may serve, at least, to silence the Fitzroy nonsense for a time," Mary murmured.

James' eyebrows lifted. "You know of that?"

Mary caught herself, remembering that she was not, apparently, supposed to know about that; she was not supposed to have any place here other than the production of heirs. When that had proved impossible for over a decade, however, what was she expected to do?

"Yes, my love; it was mentioned to me in passing," she said, endeavoring to keep her tone light.

James' lips pursed for a moment. "You need not concern yourself with that, my dear."