Chapter Sixteen

Though the king and queen's return to Whitehall was done quietly and with little fanfare, Sarah knew that more celebrations were soon to follow. Her Majesty could not wait much longer before making the announcement. For now, the slight swell of her belly might only be evident to the two people who already knew of her condition: Sarah, who dressed her, and the king. Yet it could not be hidden for much longer. Initially, the queen had asked Sarah to simply cinch her corset tighter, but that was not easily done now.

The queen was braced against the back of a chair, trying to tighten her stomach so Sarah could try to lace her corset together. Sarah's hands hesitated as the queen sucked in a breath in what sounded like pain.

"Your Majesty..." she started fearfully, though not wishing to disobey her employer's wishes.

"Leave it," the queen sighed finally. "They are going to know soon enough."

At this thought Her Majesty smiled, and turned to look proudly at her profile in the mirror. She smoothed her hands over her middle, and then bid Sarah do the same.

Somewhat hesitantly, Sarah obeyed, moving her shoulders to make the covering of her cloak fall back. In the business of moving from Whitehall, she had not made time to alter her dresses. The fabric of her gown stretched taut over her abdomen. Though it was as yet only a little paunch, her frame was so thin that it was quite noticeable. She looked at it nervously.

Sarah did not have the same luxury as the queen; while the queen would be proud and smug to announce that she was with child, the discovery of Sarah's pregnancy could only lead to shame. And so she still did her best to conceal it.

She was at least grateful that the queen had not insisted on her wearing her corset, which had grown increasingly uncomfortable. The queen had even pointed out that if Sarah was carrying her son, a corset might squish the infant, given Sarah's tiny frame. Whether or not that was true, Sarah was glad to be free of the thing, even if it felt strange not to wear her usual boning. Instead, in the cold weather, she was permitted to wear a cloak over her garments, even indoors. It would have to do for now.

However, even as Sarah worried about her pregnancy being discovered, it was impossible to be too unhappy as she felt the evidence of her growing child. She looked at her reflection in amazement, and a little smile touched her lips as she stroked her belly.

From beside her, the queen's eyes met hers in the mirror.

"God has smiled upon us, Sarah," the queen declared. She reached to touch Sarah's abdomen with affection. "There is no other explanation for why we should be so blessed at the same time."

For a moment, Sarah's smile faltered. There was something about the queen's hand on her unborn child that made her breath stop in her throat. It served as an unwelcome reminder that the child might not be allowed to remain hers, after all.

"I do not wish to be worthy of chiding if I make you late for prayers," Sarah said quickly, forcing another smile, and letting her cloak fall closed once more. The queen's hand withdrew.

"Of course," the queen replied, and returned to her place so Sarah could make the final preparations for the day.

Christmas morning was a somewhat solemn affair, a day of fasting, prayer, and remembrance of God's goodness. The celebration of Yule-tide, however, would soon come. Later that day, there would be a feast of mincemeat pies, plum pottage, and pastries.

Sarah's mouth watered at the thought. That morning, she had eaten no breakfast, and she had eaten precious little the day before, either, as the kingdom fasted in anticipation of celebrating Christ's birth. Thankfully, Her Majesty had provided some small morsels which had been secreted into the queen's chambers for both of them, as His Majesty had insisted that the queen must keep up her strength.