Chapter Eight

One morning shortly after their arrival in Whitehall, the queen asked Sarah to dress her simply. Sarah's fingers had lingered over the necklace when Her Majesty had requested to leave it off that day, for the pearls had been a gift from the king.

"I would like you to remain outside of my sitting room door this morning in case you are needed," the queen said, as she rose from her seat at the vanity. "I have an appointment and might require your services. I expect it will not be long that you must wait."

"Yes, Your Majesty," said Sarah obediently. It was hardly as if she had anything else to do. Her curiosity had been piqued, however, on what matter the queen could need her assistance.

Some time later, after the queen had breakfasted, a visitor was announced. Sarah, waiting as she had been ordered to do, watched the approach of a bespectacled man carrying a small box. Sarah curtseyed to him and then stepped out of the way for him to enter.

Once the queen had received him, Sarah lingered in the corridor. As she had been trained to do, she stood far enough away to avoid the temptation of eavesdropping, but close enough in earshot should the queen call for her more loudly.

Her curiosity lengthened the minutes, but in truth, Sarah did not have long to wait before the man exited again.

"You may come in," the queen called through the open door.

Sarah slipped into the room again. At a gesture from the queen, she sat down.

"I have summoned my physician," the queen said. "I wished for him to speak to me of matters of child-bearing."

Sarah nodded. "I hope you found it helpful, Your Majesty."

"I believe it was," the queen said. Much more faintly, she added, "For appearances' sake, anyway."

Sarah was quiet. Of course. Even if the queen did not conceive a child herself, she must at least, to all appearances, be making an effort to do so - if their plan was to succeed.

"He has advised me that I might go to Bath," the queen continued, more audibly. "He thinks if I take the waters there, it might alleviate my nerves. Apparently a more serene state of mind will be conducive to conception."

The queen glanced off, through the window, in what Sarah believed was the direction of St. James'.

Though she was tempted to bite her lip, Sarah restrained herself; as always, she endeavored to remain a picture of composure before the queen. This time, she succeeded. It still seemed terribly

unfair, however, for the queen's failure to conceive to be blamed on her nerves. It was hardly to be wondered at, with the king's philandering.

A thought entered Sarah's mind - a piece of Scripture that Philip had told her: "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee, because he trusteth in Thee." He had said it brought comfort to him. Now, it comforted Sarah as well. She wished she might share it with the queen. However, she was certain that a physician knew better than she did what might bring peace to the queen's troubled mind.

"I will go very soon. I have only to ask for His Majesty's permission, and then the travel arrangements can be made." The queen glanced back at Sarah then. "You will come with me, of course."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Though Sarah was honored that the queen once again would rely on her, nonetheless she felt a sadness settle in her belly. The queen had not said how long they would be in Bath. It might mean weeks away from Philip and from Bess.