PART 53

02

"Well," Madara took one step ahead of Ayumi, before the Hokage estate. "Are you ready?" He turned around to face her.
"We've got one more shot at this, I'll do anything to protect the three of us. And your clan, Madara." Ayumi looked at her husband deadset serious, with no hint of jester in her tone.
Madara eyed Ayumi's belly, she would be expecting soon. He met her eyes again, with paralleled conviction. He nodded. "Mm."
__
Hashirama had been siting behind his desk, with his hands underneath his chin. He unravelled his fingers, and looked at his brother, Tobirama.
"They've arrived." Tobirama stood cross-armed, his finger tapping on his arm. His eyebrows were slightly furrowed at the thought of the raven haired Uchiha. Oftentimes, he'd wonder what Ayumi saw in him. All he could rationalize about Madara was a cold, heartless mercenary. He had heard of the sudden news of Izuna's passing, and though a pang of regret grew in Tobirama's chest, it was war at the time and it had to be done.
"Come in." Hashirama spoke, sensing that Ayumi and Madara stood outside.
Madara gave Ayumi one last look as he nodded, reassuring her that it would be fine. They proceeded to enter the room, with everyone respectfully bowing to each other.
"Seems like you've been expecting us." Madara stared at Hashirama. Ayumi could tell the shift in his mood, he had been ice cold now, with his dark brooding eyes staring intently at his long lost friend.
"But then I'm not surprised, considering he's here." Madara shifted his intense gaze to Tobirama, who then coughed to clear his throat. Tobirama was a sensory type, afterall.
Hashirama slightly frowned. He got up from his chair, and now walked over to stand in front of his desk. "I'm sorry to have troubled you all this way, especially since Ayumi is expecting soon. We could have saved you the trouble and visited you instead."
Ayumi shook her head immediately. "Doesn't matter. I'm sure you know why we're here." Madara crossed his arms, and stepped forward.
"Before we further escalate any matters," Tobirama looked at Madara, "I am sorry for your passings. I know that you were very close to your family." Hashirama stared longly at Madara. Ayumi's eyes peaked up to the raven-haired Uchiha, analyzing his facial features.
Madara scoffed. He didn't know whether or not to accept it. "That's quite brave of you to say considering the Uchiha's current circumstances."
Tobirama could sense the hatred seething through Madara. "I realize that that's why you're here."
Ayumi sighed. "Why can't we all live in harmony?"
The men in the room stared back at her.
"Why do you treat the Uchiha this way?" Ayumi added, looking at Tobirama. "I know that this is out of the hands of Hashirama, and that you are responsible for driving out the Uchiha and causing disdain. Why?"
"The Uchiha have the Curse of Hat-"
"I am tired of hearing that excuse. He doesn't trust us, that is why." Madara spoke begrudgingly. "Yet Tobirama has not realized that it is not the warring states era anymore. Me building this establishment with you," Madara pointed to Hashirama, "Should be enough proof that me, neither my clan, plan violence. We were all merely pawns in a larger game called destiny back then." Madara clenched his fists.
Ayumi clicked her tongue, clenching her fists. "So why do you not trust the Uchiha?"
Hashirama looked away, realizing how her tone of voice had raised. He was happy that Madara had a woman like her by Madara's side, someone who would fight for him even though he was all alone.
"The Uchiha and peace are two existing paradoxes." Tobirama began. "That's enough, Tobirama!" Hashirama slammed a fist against the desk.
"No one wants peace more than the Uchiha do!" Ayumi yelled back at Tobirama. A slew of back and forth between the three ensued, while Madara stood there absolutely dejected.
Madara hated this.
"You fools." Madara struck his gunbai on the ground earning their attention.
Ayumi pouted.
"The Uchiha can no longer stand to be decentralized from the village. Especially given that I, the leader of the very Uchiha, helped create this settlement in the first place. We want equal opportunities, equal access." Madara spoke matter of factly.
"Even if we were to reconstruct the village pathways to be entirely inclusive, it would not be complete for another couple of years." Tobirama retorted.
"Then so be it." Madara took one step closer to Tobirama, who reacted by taking a gulp. "We can wait it out. We sure do have the funds." Madara added.
Hashirama sighed. "I'll get my architects on it. Is there anything else, Madara?"
"I'd like to add something. Cease all propaganda regarding the Uchiha." Ayumi spoke, earning a look from Madara.
"She's right. It needs to be handled. Maturely." Madara glared at the white-headed man. Hashirama nodded.
Madara turned on his two feet towards the door. "In the meantime, I am taking my leave from the village."
"M-Madara!" Ayumi exclaimed. "Are you leaving Ayumi here?" Tobirama stepped forward.
"No." He glared back, "She's coming with me." The tension in Ayumi's shoulders slightly melted.
"Are you doing it for your safety?" Hashirama asked. Madara nodded. "Yes. We won't be too far off from the village. I will be managing the Uchiha remotely."
"Mm." Hashirama hummed in agreement.
Madara couldn't shake the feeling that something dramatic was due soon, he eyed Ayumi intently. "Let's take our leave." He spoke to his wife tenderly.
"Mm, let's go." Ayumi walked.
__
Ayumi walked by Madara's side.
"We should make preparations for labor soon. You look so swollen." Madara rubbed his chin, smirking.

 "I bet you'll give birth within this week

"I bet you'll give birth within this week."
"This week, eh?" Ayumi placed a hand on her belly. "I think so too." Ayumi dangled her head down, staring at her toes.
"Something the matter?" Madara looked at her from the side.
She shook her head, but she couldn't help but feel that some impeding doom was ahead of them.
"Madara?" "Mm?" "I'm happy I get to be with you." She held his hand.
Madara didn't say anything, but he slightly gripped her hand, not wanting to let go. There was a mutual unspoken understanding of something unsettling that was to come between them.
__
The fire crackled in the dark, and Tobirama could feel its heat on his face. Two Anbu kneeled before him.
"Keep an eye on the two." Tobirama spoke. "But, don't make it obvious."
"Is that all sir?" One spoke.
"Yes." Tobirama crossed his arms.
The two ANBU fled.