PART 5

*MADARA'S POV*

Madara and Izuna began to trek back to the Uchiha compound, ironically not too much a distance from the Senju, despite their ongoing mischief.
Izuna let out a deep sigh. "I must admit, the quietness outside of war is comforting. Aniki, I could get used to it."
Madara looked up to the trees and noticed a bird taking care of its nest and the hatchlings. Much like how I should be taking care of this clan.
"That Hyuga girl was quite an interesting character. And it was almost shocking to see her mock you." Izuna stifled a chuckle.
Madara glanced at his younger brother.

I briefly thought of our encounter. She was brave, that Hyuga, to be able to talk to me so lax - something people tended to not be when in my presence. It almost made me perplexed dare I say. Was she not frightened?
"I'll let you entertain that thought this time." I chuckled, closing my eyes. "I cannot fathom how a Hyuga would be so easily persuaded to agree to a Senju alliance."
"Right." Izuna walked, "I thought the same thing."

"Their Byakugan is sacred, but I predict that the Senju would use it for their own betterment. Such an impulsive decision. She would have been better off to sign a treaty with us if anything." A deep territorial tone grew in Madara's voice.
"She's naive, and we know the Senju better," Izuna added, gripping onto his katana, "Though one can't blame her - her right-hand shinobi did mention it was her first time at a diplomatic meeting."
She would learn soon enough, I thought.

"Nonetheless, we should not underestimate them. That girl had an enormous amount of chakra, you must have sensed it, Aniki?"
"I did," I retorted. She seemed like the spitting image of her father Hayate. "Perhaps we might clash on the battlefield some day. We should be preparing for war soon again."

-

*AYUMI'S POV*

"Koniko," I uttered, she tilted her head towards me. "Do you think it's possible to truly understand someone else's intentions?"

"Having doubts already about the Senju?" She patted my back. "That's okay. It's normal."
"I just keep hearing a lot about the Senju on the battlefield. We all want peace but how do we go about it exactly? I'm going to lead this clan somewhat soon too. I need to make the right decisions from now." The pressure starting to build up already. 

Koniko nodded. "It's a good question. I think we need to start using our chakra to come and help each other rather than to just divide."
"That was the purpose of chakra in the first place.." I nodded, "What do you think of that Madara?"
Koniko met my eyes. "He's scary." 
"He is." I agreed, though I hated to. "But for some reason, I feel like I could trust him."
"You sure have guts."

-

"So," Father sat cross legged in his study, "How did the meeting go?"
"Little progress, here and there. We haven't signed a treaty with any one as of yet. In fact, the idea quickly crumbled. We should go back to war soon." I swiftly explained.
"Ah." Hayate closed his eyes, as if he expected to hear such news, "That's how most of these diplomatic meetings go. Things move slowly in the shinobi world, changes accrue and only start to show generations from now." 
I dangled my head. 

I recalled Madara's words. To speak of a treaty so soon. Who's to guarantee it'll work?

"Father," I spoke abruptly, "Why don't we ally with the Uchiha?"
Hayate narrowed his eyes. "Have you gone crazy?"
"Think about it. We can't kill each other any way, so why not ally?" I bit the inside of my cheek. "It would be damage control. And maybe the Senju will surrender, especially since both of our clans have suffered from them. Maybe the rivalries will dwindle." 

Hayate let out an exasperated sigh. "Leave."
I got up, dragging my katana with me. Father had always dismissed me when I suggested ridiculous ideas. Maybe this was just one of them. 

-

*HAYATE'S POV*

"What do you think of the Uchiha, chichi?" I asked Hisaki, consoling in him once more.
"Nothing more but a mercenary clan bestowed with great power." He responded, almost bitterly. "What is going in your mind?"

"Ayumi went to that meeting today. And suggested that  we instead ally with them."

Hisaki stayed silent.
I had contemplated this idea of an alliance years back when it seemed like the Hyuga were being pushed into a corner by many clans. The fact that my daughter had thought of it so quickly after just one encounter instilled a hope in me - that she would be able to take care of things if I were to pass.

"Your daughter has a keen sense of insight, to be able to judge matters so quickly." My father spoke, breaking the silence.

I glanced at my father.
"I know what is going through her head, she's thinking of proposing an alliance with them to increase our power in the case that the Senju decide to break their covenant." Hisaki stroked his beard.

I crossed my arms. 
"We must not forget that we cannot fight against the Uchiha in honour of our code." I added. "It does seem like the logical thing to do." 
"If you see it fit to take this precautionary measure, do so." Hisake laid his staff on the tatami matt. "It is never a bad idea to initiate cooperation."

"I'll introduce the idea to Uchiha Tajima." I clenched the hem of my yukata. What could the future entail...

I quickly ripped a piece of paper, grabbing a pen and dipping it into ink.

"Hisashiburi-dana, Uchiha Tajima. 
I'll cut this letter short. I would like to set up a meeting to talk about an alliance between our clans. I am going to come to the Uchiha compound tomorrow at around morning time. 

- Hyuga Hayate."

I fed the messenger bird a couple of seeds to provide it some energy for its long flight, tucking the letter in its carriage, and off it flew. 

-

"Go stock back up on tonics in the infirmary, and right after, tend to any remaining injuries while you can." I ordered a fellow medic-nin Uchiha, trying to juggle a million other things in my head that needed to be completed before dawn. "Hm, what's this?" A messenger bird flew through my window and landed on my arm. The saddle across it's body had the Hyuga emblem engraved. 

The Hyuga Clan? I fondly remembered a good friend I had connected with from that clan, only to have him die by the hands of a Senju

I quickly opened the letter and read its contents. 

Hisashiburi-dana, Uchiha Tajima.
I'll cut this letter short. I would like to set up a meeting to talk about an alliance between our clans. I am going to come to the Uchiha compound tomorrow at around morning time. 
Hyuga Hayate."

A fond smirk grew on my face. We would spar when we were younger folk, that Hayate and I. Who knew that this day would ever come. I almost felt dumbfounded by the fact that this should have been discussed sooner. Perhaps I wouldn't have lost almost all my children if we had shaken hands earlier... 

I had indeed once contemplated allying with the Hyuga as well. They were a force to be reckoned with - they gave many other clans a hard time. Their superb taijutsu skills perfectly complemented the force needed to take down an Uchiha, alongside the fact that they can easily detect a shinobi's blindspot granted by their 360 degree vision. Thus it would be logical to not be enemies with each other, but to ally and cooperate and use those skills to overcome the battlefield. Heck they even surpassed the Senju in some respects.

"Very well then." I uttered underneath my breath.

--

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Please let me know what you think of this fanfiction so far!