PART 13

Ayumi spent a week contemplating on what to do next, but one thing was for sure. She had come to the fact that she did not want to resort to violence - it would only be a reminder of the fact that Uehara had come to die by the same action. To inflict it on somebody else now just felt... wrong. It was a shame that it took her to lose a sister to finally come to that realization.
Shinobi duty had her on call to the battlefield the past week, and each fight she was growing more hasty, as noted by her battling partner, Madara. Ayumi was beginning to grow impatient. Perhaps her sister's death had clouded her mind in a way others viewed irresponsible.
It had also been a long week without talking to Madara, without actually talking.

"Damn," Ayumi toyed with a leaf, thinking of the Uchiha leader, "I actually sort of miss that bastard."

She heard a soft knock on the door.
"Come in, Koniko."

She seemed better now, her skin back to its usual colour. She had come to accept the fact that it wasn't her fault. Ayumi was content that she came to that resolution.
"Have you eaten?" Koniko sat on the ledge of the bed.
"Mhm." Ayumi got up, "I think... I need to arrange a meeting with the Senju clan. But... I don't trust them. And I need reinforcements."
Koniko nodded her head, keenly listening, "Uchiha? They can't hurt you if the Uchiha are present too."
"You read my mind!" Ayumi chuckled, both of them now laughing.

It grew quiet. The first time they had laughed since her death.

"Yeah, so... I want to see them." Ayumi broke the silence.

"Here." Koniko pulled an inked pen and paper out of Ayumi's drawer.
"Should I consult my father first?" Ayumi scratched her chin.
Koniko shrugged. "You are growing up. You should start taking the lead."

Ayumi smirked. "Mm!"
The Hyuga Princess stared at the paper, her heart pumping slightly harder. She would step up her plate from here on out, she decided.

Senju Butsuma,

This is the Hyuga heiress speaking. I would like to arrange a meeting to discuss the course of some recent events. Though I will have reinforcements, our intention is to converse hopefully in good spirits. Do not fret.

- Hyuga Ayumi.

"Wow." Ayumi triumphantly smiled, "I actually wrote that!"
"Mm!" Koniko patted her shoulder, "I'm proud of you, you know. Growing into a leader we can all depend on."
Ayumi blushed. "I couldn't have done it without you and many others." They shared a sincere hug.
The messenger bird carried the letter and flew, and now nothing was to be done except to prepare.

-

It was during the pit of darkness now, and I stood outside in the middle of the forest, patiently waiting for Izuna and Madara. I had to notify them of the advances I had made.

Two pairs of fiery sharingan appeared forth of me, they had teleported here promptly.
"I appreciate the punctuality." I spoke.
Izuna yawned. "You woke me up!"
Madara sighed, his eyes closed. "Well?"

"Let's see, where do I even start..." I looked up at the night sky, "I found out who killed Uehara."
"Who?" Izuna now snapped out of his tired haze, his eyes lit up with curiosity. I almost chuckled. Like a child.

I gulped. I know how sensitive of a topic this was, especially for Madara, who cared deeply for his brothers, and was adamant about protecting the only blood that had remained - Izuna.

"The Senju."

I studied Madara's reaction and noticed that he clenched a fist.
"Those bastards." Izuna spat out coldly, eyeing his brother, "Aniki, we can't trust them."
It only added more fire to the temper that was brewing within Madara.
Perhaps I had made a mistake in confiding in them. The Uchiha leader stayed silent, as if he was waiting for more to be said.

"You both must be wondering how I came to such a conclusion."

I activated my Byakugan.
It was not just them with the upper hand here.

Izuna quickly shifted uncomfortably in his spot. Madara crossed his arms.

"I can see atoms. Atoms." I said, "And the shuriken they left behind? Made up of tungsten. Which is..."

"How they manufacture their weapons." Madara completed my thought, swirling back to his charcoal orbs.

"Yeah..." I noticed that his blood pressure slightly spiked. He was stressed but his face had no indication of that. I was shocked at how easy he feigned his emotions. Maybe it was an Uchiha thing. His brother on the other hand, however...
Izuna was a different story. More easier to read, I thought.

"O-oi... Ayumi... stop looking at me like that." Izuna covered his chest, trying to cover himself. I heard Madara scoff. He felt exposed, a feeling too common once someone had laid eyes on my byakugan.

"Hah-hah!" I laughed, casting my gaze away. It was bizarre to me that he would even think that. "I get it. I get it." I waved my hands in the air defensively.

Madara stared at me, contemplating, I could tell.

"It is not in my place to tell you what to do," Madara stated matter of factly, "But I will impart this piece of advice to you. Tread carefully around the Senju." He spoke the latter part more hardly.

"Right." I shuffled in my spot, placing my hands on my hips, "I was going to ask if you two could accompany me, in the case that anything happens."

"Hn." Madara crossed his arms, he looked angry. I knew I had passed a boundary. "You have some nerve, to be asking me that question. I have no desire to be put in the middle of your problems."

Ouch. Even after everything...?
"Uhm, okay... Madara." I spoke sheepishly, feeling hurt. I frowned, rubbing the nape of my neck.

Though he did have a point.
"Aniki," Izuna bumped his elder brother's elbow, "Be nice." He stepped closer to me now. "It's just we've lost too much by their hands. And to be honest, our clan is growing tired of fighting them al-"

"That is enough." Madara raised a hand to his brother. He clearly didn't want him revealing his clans problems. Izuna looked at Madara wide-eyed.

"What's wrong, Madara?" I asked genuinely concerned, leaning in.

A silence that lasted for a minute felt like eternity. Each second passing by was more painful than the last. I could tell Madara was hesitant, but finally he spoke.

"Some defectors of the Uchiha, that is majority of them, are willing to surrender to the Senju. Even though..." Madara looked at his clenched fist with anger. Even though they've killed my brothers.

"The Uchiha are growing tired of fighting." Izuna added, "And the fighting will never stop. Casualties will only rise." Izuna raised his palms.

"Something really needs to change." I looked back up to the sky. I felt a comfort every time I did so.

"Madara." I said his name, demanding his attention. He looked at me inquisitively.

"I am sorry." I bowed. Though he would not let it show, I could tell he was thinking about his now passed brothers. "Waking you two up so early and reminding you of the past..."

"Heh-heh, now, now..." Izuna patted my shoulder, "No need to bow to us! We're the same in level."

"Oh." I scratched my hair, sort of dumbfounded, "Right!"
Madara seemed unwavered, in his stoic aura as per usual.

"I suggest you find your own clan mates as reinforcements. Our presence might incite a whole other ordeal with those Senju." Madara spoke swiftly.
I nodded. Indeed, Madara made a solid point. My sister took precedence now.
"Understood."