PART 25

"... The person I have in mind, she's... Well," Madara placed a hand on his hip, while his dark eyes fixated on her with a strong intent. "Extremely oblivious. I'd say, even borderline stupid. But she is indeed strong. She cares for her brethren deeply, and is not moved so easily by the matters of this world. It also helps that she's a beauty to boot. But also..."

Madara's voice grew quiet.

"... She may even perhaps be standing in front of me right now."

Ayumi took a deep gulp, she was replaying that sentence in her head over and over again, his voice drilled into her head now. Each time it weighed more heavily on her heart. She forced herself to snap back to reality, catching her breath that she was withholding.

Madara was asking her to be his wife. She was holding herself back from breaking down in tears.

"Well, actually Madara." Ayumi broke the silence, his eyes were still set on hers. "I have someone in mind too."

He sighed, looking away. Madara too had looked slightly defeated, though he feigned it quite well.

 Madara too had looked slightly defeated, though he feigned it quite well

"He's really big and strong, scary and sometimes, even mean too. You should see the way kids flock like sheep away from him when he's around. But he dotes on his younger brother a bit too much, and he cares for his family deeply. Oh, and his pride? As tall as that mountain over there." Ayumi pointed to the tall feature in the distance. "Other than that, he's actually not that bad once you get to know him."

Madara met her eyes one more time, this time they were wide, coming to terms with the realization that she too had felt the same way. Madara felt divine.

"Not that bad once you get to know him?" The Uchiha crossed his arms.

"B-baka! And you think I'm borderline stupid?!" Ayumi punched his arm playfully.
Madara broke out into a laughter. "Painfully so." He was actually smiling. And it took Ayumi's breath away for a minute. She couldn't help but join him in laughter too.

They both caught their breaths, meeting each other's eyes with light blushes.
"So..." Ayumi looked up at him with eyes glinted in excitement, and he returned them with an earnest gaze. "I think-"

"I do intend to make you my wife. That I do mean." Madara tugged her closer by her wrist. His expression did not show a glimpse of jester or shyness, he was being serious. This reassured the Princess. She met his eyes shyly, relaxing and burrowing herself in his chest.

"I oblige."

Madara looked down at her, and he swore that day to himself that he would protect her so long as he lived. No, even beyond that.

-

The pair made their way inside of the common lounging area, where they sat beside each other on the tatami mats.