By Your Side. (8)

Jude's POV:

"LET ME OUT!" Tony roared. I narrowed my eyes at him. "You're losing it, man. As soon as you calm down, we can speak properly. But for right now you just have to stay...don't look at me like that."

"If you actually think that you can convince me to let that monster near my daughter, you've got another thought coming."

My eyes hardened. I glared at him from the outside of the temporary prison that he was in with cold eyes. We were in the farther wing of the house, where I'd asked Tony to walk with me so we could talk. And then I, as Dylan would say, shoved into one of the booby traps like a dirty, underhanding (if that's even a word) dog. But he deserved it, and we had to talk.

"That 'monster' is my son," I growled. "The same boy you watched grow up with your daughter. The same one she leans on. Whether you like it or not, they're a package deal. Always have been. Do you have any idea how much you're hurting Phoebe with you callous attitude towards Archer?"

"I'm doing what's best for her," he said hoarsely.

"You locked her in her room like a common criminal." I pointed out.

He faltered, then glared. "It's called good parenting. You should try some."

I ignored the jab, then realized what he said and scoffed. "You're in serious denial, Tony. You need to get yourself out of it. If Molly were here--"

"Don't bring Molly into this!"

"I can and I will," I growled, using the alpha voice. He winced, but I was too angry to care. "We all know this is about her! You couldn't protect her from dying in chilbirth, so you want to make up for it by protecting Phoebe from everything, even the things that are good for her. But that's not the reason why you hate my son so much. The reason why you hate him so much is because he's the only person that would be able to take her away from you without her protesting."

"Shut up, Jude," he roared.

"You're jealous, Tony, because there is a possibly--which will become a reality if you don't shape up and start acting like a real father-- that Phoebe loves him more than she love you."

He looked pained, and angry, but I plowd on. I need him to understand this because apparently, everyone but him got it.

"If he tells her to run, she'll ask how fast. But if you ask her to run she'll question you."

"You're a afraid of your own son," he snarled, gripping the metal bars. I gave him a level glare. "No I'm not."

"You fear for this pack because of the way he shifted. It wasn't a natural first shift under a full moon, and his wolf took complete control of his body. He's practically a nuclear bomb just ready to be set off. And when he goes off--"

I figured now was the time to break it to Tony, before I ripped his throat out. Time for the truth. "He shifted to protect Phoebe."

His face changed and for one moment, he actually looked shocked. "What?"

"We haven't got the complete story yet, but it appears that someone tried to kidnap Phoebe. Archer put up a major fight." I smiled wryly. That was defintely Dylan's and my son.

"You told me those were self-inflicted wounds. You said that his wolf took over so he was hunting larger prey than him and..."

"No, Tony. We lied. And you're going to have to face Archer with the knowledge that you unwittingly were blaming Archer for somthing that he didn't do." He was silent. I continued, "That was the only reason why I didn't protest to you locking Phoebe away. Just to make sure no one returned for her and she wasn't some where safe."

I waited.

I saw the wheels turning in his head, and decided to give him a little push in the direction of the idea I had. But before I could open my mouth, he asked, "Archer shifted protecting Phoebe, right?"

"Right."

"And that was his first shift? Not under a full moon?"

"Yep."

"Protecting Phoebe..." He muttered. He mulled over the idea, strangely calm. He was still standing up, a hand on his chin as he thought hard. I couldn't take it anymore.

"So I think that as long as Phoebe's not in danger and they're together, Archer should be fine with his wolf. You, Tony, just so happen to make him extremely mad with your whole 'keep Phoebe away from Archer' rant. I can hardly blame him for being so angry though, seeing as they're best friends and she's his mate--"

"WHAT!?!"

"Calm down, Tony."

"I'm calm," he roared. "I'm--I'm--" His clothes flew into teeny pieces and he shifted into a huge, tawny colored wolf.

Yeah, my wolf thought with a hint of humor. He's fine.

Shut up. Have some sympathy for the poor guy.

He should have seen it coming.

Yeah. But I'm not going to be the one to tell him that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Short,  but I'm tired. I might have to go to church tomorrow (depending on how bad my sore throat is). Not edited.