By Your Side. (4)

Happy Holidays!!

*

Archer's POV:

I couldn't answer her.

Not only was her face extremely close to mine, and her senses were assualting my brain, but her eyes were so pretty....

"Archer," she snapped, letting go of my shirt and stepping back while looking at me with a fire in her aqua eyes.

I felt my face grow hot. "Uh, um, uh...I got nothing." I admitted sheepishly. She looked at me, frustrated. "Why not? Shouldn't you know about your magic nose? Why didn't you tell me you could time travel? I'm your best friend, you could've at least told me."

I blinked. "I don't think that was me who did that, Phob," I said slowly. "Last time I checked, I don't time travel."

"Maybe it was the lake," She suggested.

I gave her a deadpan look. "We've swam in that lake hundreds of times."

"And your point is?"

"Look," I said. "How about we just forget about this whole thing? I mean, it's not like we're hurt or anything." I narrowed my eyes. "You're not hurt, are you?"

Now that I looked closer, her shoulders were slumped. She was blinking a lot more than normal, and she yawned. "I'm fine. You're so overprotective."

"I have to be," I mumbled.

"What was that?"

I smiled a bit, looking at her. "Nothing. Let's get back, it's starting to get dark."

I went to go and pick up out bait and fishing poles when her voice stopped me. "Archer," she said softly. Something her voice made me stop and turn around immediately.

Phoebe's eyes revealed all. When we were little, you could tell when she was going to cry minutes before she actually did it. A glance from her could make you feel guilty, even if the fight or incident was her fault. As she grew older, she learned how to shield them some, so her father wouldn't know when she was upset. God knew he had enough to worry about.

But her eyes always kept that honesty and innocence that Tony and I were fighting to preserve. That, combined with the sadness that was in those aqua orbs right now, broke my heart. I walked over to her and hugged her, while shuddered against me.

"I can't believe I saw her." She said quietly. "I never thought..."

"I know," I said soothingly.

After what seemed like decades she pulled back a little, rubbing at her eyes. They were slightly red. "Let's go. I'm suddenly exhausted."

"You do look tired."

We packed up our stuff and started walking down the side of the road, both of us in our own private thoughts.

What was I thinking? I almost kissed Phoebe! And then we time traveled! This was all a little too Twilight Zone for me. I shook my head and moved onto other, calming thoughts. Like the fact that Tony was going to kill me by the time we got to the house. He had a right to, sort of. We were both soaked, and now that I thought about it, the temperature had significantly dropped.

Dang. I looked at Phoebe. "Come on, let's hurry. I can feel the temperature dropping."

Neither of us had shifted yet, so our body temperature didn't express the normal symptoms of a werewolf; increased speed and agility, canines slightly longer than a normal human's, smell and hearing increase, the ability to find our mate...