Chapter : 29 Truth Revealed

'Uncle Sev, there is something you need to know. But I can't say it here, shall we go upto my room?' He nodded and followed me, I shut the door behind us, and locked it, so that there would be no intrusions.

'You might want to sit down for this Uncle Sev', he looked confused but he sat down anyway. My nerves were getting the better of me and I started pacing the room up and down. He did not question me, I knew he was allowing me to take my own time.

'I can't take it anymore, I am just going to say it. Uncle Sev, I am a horcrux!' I waited for his reaction. I assumed that he would burst out in amazement or shock or surprise, but nothing. Instead, he just sat there, with his mouth a little open just to show that he had heard what I had just said.

'What do you mean?' He finally said.

'When Voldemort took me away from my parents, his intention was to make me a living horcrux. A part of Voldemort lives inside me, Uncle. And there's nothing I can do about it.' He remained silent, so I continued, 'I don't have much time. Harry, probably by now, has started to hunt for the rest of the horcruxes, but he doesn't know about me yet. I kind of hinted about it to Hermione before I left though.'

'What!' He exclaimed, 'Harry is hunting for horcruxes? How do you know that?'

'I overheard them talking while I was in the library. They are doing it as per Dumbledore's orders.'

'And you said you hinted about yourself to Granger?'

'I did not exactly tell her that I was the eighth horcrux, but I did tell her that there were eight. Just like that. I don't know if they guessed that I meant horcruxes. Dumbledore knew about me though, he did not say anything to Harry about it. I asked him, a few minutes before you did it, at the astronomy tower.'

'What did he say?'

'He said that he trusted me to do the right thing, but I don't know what that means', Uncle Sev cupped his face in his hands. I hoped against hope that he would not scold me for what I told Hermione.

'Professor Dumbledore has given out some very difficult tasks in his time. How does he expect a boy to find and destroy horcruxes, when he himself had no idea where to look for them. Well, they have to look for six horcruxes, including you, and that is no easy task. Mine was the worst', he mumbled.

'What did he ask you to do?' I asked carefully.

'He asked me to kill him', he said plainly. Now it was my turn to be shocked. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

'Wait, what?'

'Dumbledore told me to kill him instead of letting Draco go through with it. Even in death's clutches he was a compassionate man. He did not want his blood to be on the boy's hands. He said that I didn't have to feel guilty about it since he was already dying. The Gaunt family ring which he wore had released a slow poison into his body, which would have eventually killed him. So, he did not make any effort in obstructing Draco's plans. I wish I had never listened to the old man.'

          He shook his head in dismay. 'Now I have to tell Harry that he is to sacrifice himself if he intends to defeat the Dark Lord.'

'What!' All these truths were hitting me like bricks. Not able to stand any longer, I seated myself on a chair. Harry had to die? What about the prophecy?

'The prophecy stated that.... none shall live.... while the other survives. It meant that in order to kill the Dark Lord, Harry has to die', he said quietly.

'I.... don't know... what to say.'

'You mustn't tell anyone about this, not even Draco. Does he know about you?'

'No. Not yet. I haven't decided whether or not to tell him. It crushes me to think of leaving him. One way or another, there is only one result, I have to die. If Harry finds out about me, he will kill me. If all the other horcruxes are destroyed, then I will be the only piece of Voldemort's soul left, which he will take.' We both remained quiet for some time, each, digesting the facts given by the other. In just a couple of minutes, we had both heard shocking revelations, enough to last us a lifetime.

'You still haven't told me what he wanted from you earlier.'

'Oh, he was just warning me again not leave Malfoy Manor. And he also mentioned that we would be going back to Hogwarts this year. He told me you were made headmaster. Congratulations, Uncle!' I said smiling. But his face held a slightly glum look.

'Yes. I will admit, I do feel a bit odd taking on that position.'

'Uncle Sev, I am pretty sure that Dumbledore couldn't have been more glad than to give you the position as Headmaster of Hogwarts. You were one of the people he trusted the most, he literally trusted you with his life. I would say that it is an honour to preserve and protect that chair from any other unworthy death eater.'

          He looked at me for a few seconds, as if analysing what I had just said, 'Thank you Ava, that really means a lot. And I will become Headmaster of Hogwarts. I might have to be the Dark Lord's pawn for a while, but I will try my best to continue things as it were.'

          I went and sat next to him. He wrapped his arms around me, and kissed the top of my head. 'No matter what happens, Ava, know that I have loved and cared for you, as if you were my daughter. Dark times are coming, and we should face them, with our heads held high', a teardrop rolled down his face.

'Uncle Sev, you were there for me, when I had no one. You looked after me since I was a little baby, and all the memories we have made all these years, I will always treasure them.'

           I lay down on his lap, and slowly fell asleep, his hands patting me softly.

**********