Chapter : 21 The Day After

The next morning I was woken up by Hermione. I had fallen asleep in the hospital wing, my head resting on Draco's lap, who still hadn't woken up. I followed Hermione to the Great Hall to have breakfast and then went upto my room to get changed.

          I couldn't concentrate in any of my classes that day, all I could think about was Malfoy. Transfiguration, I pretended like I was paying attention, History of Magic, I snoozed in the back seat, and DDA (Defense against Dark Arts) was no more interesting than it usually was, no offense to Uncle Sev.

          I didn't feel like having lunch, so I went outside to get some air, to think things through, when I noticed Harry sitting on a bench alone, going through some piece of homework. I mustered up all the courage I had and went and sat next to him.

'Hey Harry, I'm sorry for the way I acted yesterday. I said some things I shouldn't have, and.... did some things too....'

'You don't need to apologize, I should', he said, 'I didn't know what the spell did and I used it. It was written in that Potions book.... anyway I've disposed it. It won't happen again. But what is going on between you and Malfoy?'

'We are... kind of dating. Draco is not as bad as you think he is Harry.'

' "Not as bad"? Ava, he is a death eater, he is dangerous, he may be using you, playing with your feelings. You can never trust Malfoy, Ava. You cannot trust a death eater.'

          My heart pained when he said this and I thought it was time he knew one half of the truth about me, 'But Harry, I am like him,' I said, not looking him in the face.

'Definitely not. You are nothing like that git Malfoy.'

'But... I am', and lifted my sleeve, exposing the dark mark. Harry was dumbfounded, he gaped at my arm, and before he could say anything, I got up and left, blinking back a few tears.  After all, Harry would find out sooner or later and I would rather he heard it from me than anyone else. It was just a matter of time before the entire school would come to know the truth about me.

          After lunch, I had an hour of Potions. I decided to skip it, since there was really no point in me being there without my partner, and I really wanted to check on how he was doing. I was walking along the corridor when I ran into Blaise.

'Hey Ava, are you going to see Draco? Shall we go together then?' I nodded and we walked side by side, not saying anything. We entered the wing and found Draco in a sitting position on his bed. A small smile crept to my face, seeing that he was alright. I went and sat beside him on the bed while Blaise sat on a chair.

'How are you feeling?', I asked while planting a kiss on his cheek.

'Well, I've been better. No thanks to Potter', he snarled.

'Draco, it was an accident. He didn't know what the spell did and he feels bad. He apologized for what he did only a little while ago.'

'Are you really defending him? Did you see what he did to me? I could have died because of him, and here you are defending him!' He scowled.

'Defending him? Draco, it was a mistake.'

'No, the mistake was you coming here. How can you sit here and defend the person who is the cause for the state I am in?'

'But you are fine, Draco. You're alright', I pleaded.

'Yeah, no thanks to you', he muttered and looked away.

'Draco, she...' interrupted Blaise.

'No, Blaise. I'll go, he can talk to me when he's back to his own senses', I looked at Draco, who was still avoiding my gaze, a slight scowl plastered across his face, so I left the wing, not turning back. I felt like I was stabbed in the back, no pun intended.