| thirty four

Xiomara;

I look up from my phone when I start hearing loud voices and laughter, seeing the guys from the team finally leave the building after their practice session. I stay in my car behind the wheel, biting my lip once my eyes land on Dave walking out of the building.

He's on his phone that he recently bought after I dropped the old one in the toilet just last night. I guess when you're rich you can get new phones in a matter of hours. I roll my eyes since he's clearly texting somebody but he sure as hell isn't texting me.

I never wanted to become that wife. The one who keeps her eye on her husband's every move but now I have every reason to be suspicious. And being nothing but a housewife, I have a lot of time on my hands so I thought I might as well put it to good use and catch Dave in the act. Then I can really leave this motherfucker.

I've never fucked with that broken home shit since it's really important to me that Maya grows up with both Dave and I equally in her life but unfortunately, my dignity matters too. My mother never had to deal with my father cheating because they were so madly in love with each other. She always wanted me to be better than her in every way so I'll be damned if I settle for less with a cheating ass nigga.

Dave daps up the guys from the team. He's ready to walk away before they say something which makes him laugh. I smirk painfully, seeing this clueless motherfucker happy while his wife slips through his fingers.

He gets in his car and drives away and I follow behind him shortly. We pull up at a red light, a couple cars between us. I thought I would make a great spy until I almost jump out of my seat when my phone starts ringing. It's connected to the car through Bluetooth so the ringtone sounds loudly through the speakers, cutting off my music.

"Shit." I say under my breath, reading the screen in the car seeing that it's an incoming call from nobody else but my husband. The nigga caught me? I sigh before tapping answer on the screen.

"Where you at?" His voice comes through. Phew, he doesn't know.

"Somewhere you don't need to know." I snap. I ain't forget about what happened last night and if he thinks sex made up for it then he better think again.

Dave sucks his teeth. "I'ma be home early. We gotta talk."

"Well I'm not tryna see you so how about you hang with the guys after practice since that's what you always do, right?" I say as it dawns on me. Dave is always talking about after practice with the guys but I never realized he was probably using that shit as an excuse to fuck around on me. God, I am so stupid. "Look, I ain't coming home tonight."

"Fuck you mean?"

"Exactly what I said. I'm staying somewhere else until you finally start making sense to me, David!" The light turns green so we start driving again. "After the way last night went down, I'm not sticking around for you to put your hands on me again. You can keep hiding bitches in your phone, I don't care because as soon as I catch you red handed, I swear to God I'm out."

He's silent for about 10 seconds. "Where's my daughter, Xiomara?"

"She's staying with me." I already have our stuff packed and our bags are currently in the corner of the guest room at my abuelita's place since that's where I'm going to be staying. It sucks because my birthday is tomorrow and I'll probably spend it settling in but I also have a feeling that my abuelita won't let me go through the day unhappy.