Chapter 1 | The First Day

I check my phone frantically as I walk up the stairs to Arthur Meighen Secondary School. It's the first day back from summer vacation, and the time reads 8:58, which means I have two minutes to get to class. It turns out I didn't remember how much time I actually needed to get ready for school - the cobwebs in my brain must not have cleared yet.

I hurry up the four flights of stairs to my first period class, business, and barge through the door loudly just as the bell rings. I smile embarrassingly at the teacher, who gestures to a seat at the front of the class. I nod and sit down swiftly next to a brown-haired boy with dimples and warm eyes.

"Hi." He says, smiling.

I don't have any time to answer as the national anthem comes on the speakers. I just give him a small smile and listen quietly to the music as we all stand up.

I realize I have also forgotten a few of the lines of "Oh Canada". I probably should have done some summer reading to keep my brain fresh, but I was too busy with my job as a hotel lifeguard. It did pay well though, and I managed to save almost $2,500 for university. I need to start thinking about schools, as I'm in grade eleven and graduate next year.

The anthem ends, and we take our seats once again.

"What's your name?" The boy whispers out of the corner of his mouth.

I hesitate and look at the teacher. She sifts through some papers while the announcements come on the PA.

"Lola." I whisper back.

"I'm Dan." He says with a smile. He certainly seems like a happy guy.

"Shh!" The teacher hushes us loudly as the announcements end. I look at Dan and he smiles in embarrassment, chuckling softly.

"Okay class!" The teacher says. "Today we will be doing a quick introduction to the course and Wednesday will be our first official class. Make sure you have all the materials needed and outlined in this package."

She hands out a thick package of photocopies and I groan internally. The weekly breakdown shows either a test or a project almost every week.

"Quite the outline, isn't it?" Dan asks me. I nod quickly. Why does he keep talking to me?

"I'm new here, by the way." He says.

"Where did you come from?" I ask. He laughs.

"Can't you tell? England."

"Oh." I say, and look down at my papers. The teacher returns to the front of the class and gives us a look.

She turns around and starts writing the project expectations on the board, and of course Dan takes the opportunity to talk to me.

"I get the feeling you don't like me."

"I do." I say, giving him a small smile. I don't want him to think that I don't like him; who knows - he may become friends with the popular kids, with Charlie. And that gives me an idea.

Charlie is the most attractive boy in school. Although I have many friends, Charlie has more. I envisioned a life together and every day last year, I came to school and made it my mission to make him like me. Maybe Dan would befriend him and put in a good word for me.

"Good." He says with a nod, snapping me out of my planning daydream. "Now please, stop being distracted and work."

I shake my head and look at the board, smiling.

On the way out of class, I turn to Dan. Time to put the plan into action. "You know, you should go talk to Charlie Mason. He's in our grade."

"Why?"

"I'd think you two will be great friends. Plus, he likes to show new students around the school."

This was true, but what I neglected to tell Dan was that Charlie was the Senior Vice President, and it was his job to show everyone around.

"Neat. Ok." He nods. "See you around!"

He waves and walks off.

I smile. Maybe this year won't be so bad after all.

"LOLLLAAAAAA!!!" I hear the scream far behind me, followed by the thump of feet.

Whirling around, I see my friends Nicole and Jess run to me.

"Hey guys!" I say cheerfully, opening up my arms and engaging in a group hug.

"How was your summer?" Nicki asks me as we walk side by side to the cafeteria.

"Kind of bland. I was working the entire time. Apart from my vacation in Florida, I've really had no free time," I say, and sit down at our favourite table.

"Oo, any boys?" Jess joins in and I laugh.

"No, Jess!" Nicki says. "She's waiting for you-know-who!"

"Hush Nicki!" I swat her playfully before opening my lunch bag.

"Anyways, I haven't seen either of you for ages!" I continue. Nicki and Jess work together as camp councillors three hours away, and so I only got to see them the week school ended last June.

"I missed you so much!" Jess coos.

We start talking, Jess revealing the juicy details of her summer hook-up with Max, her colleague. I get distracted when Dan enters, talking animatedly with Charlie. They get separated in the food line, and Dan and I meet eyes. He gives me a wink, and the people behind him start yelling for him to move forward. He trips slightly, and looks at me with embarrassment before I laugh.

"Who's that?" Nicki asks.

"Dan," I tell her. "He's new here."

"He seems like a bit of a moron." Jess states.

"Don't judge him," I say. "Besides, I've got a plan."

"Oh, Lord." Jess groans. "We all know how amazing your ideas are."

"Shut up." I giggle. "Anyway, I've got him talking to Charlie."

"Oh I see," Nicki exclaims. "You're using him as a messenger. Your man in-between."

"I'm not using him," I justify. "I'm introducing him to people."

"Ya, sure." Nicki rolls her eyes and changes the subject to her canoeing experiences.

My eyes stray to Dan again, sitting with Charlie, and Charlie's friend Phil. He smiles at me, and I can't help but notice he has a really great smile. I smile back but look away when Charlie looks at me. I don't want him getting the wrong idea, after all.

| Hey guys! I hope you enjoyed the first chapter! Yay for cute, awkward Dan haha

Smut will come ladies and gents

Please vote! It helps the story grow :)

Twitter - @climacticstyles

xxoo - sophia |