Chapter 12 | Ultimatum

After a minute, I break away from our connection. "We shouldn't."

"Why not?" Charlie asks me, his emerald eyes searching my face. "We can. You and Dan obviously aren't working."

"But that's the problem!" I exclaim, sitting up and feeling tears form in my eyes. "We are! I have no idea what's going on with me. I'm torn. I never expected this."

"Oh come on, Lola!" Charlie mimics my actions, coming to an upright position. "Nicole told me about your plan."

"She, she...what?"

"Yes, she told me." Charlie runs his hand through his hair. "And guess what, Lola? She's tired. Tired of feeling forgotten by you and Jess. Jess and I, well...I guess you would know this by now. We had a thing. For a couple of days. And it was pretty...passionate."

My heart drops and so did my jaw. "Did you take her virginity?"

"No! No, of course not!" Charlie laughs nervously. "She wasn't comfortable yet. But she gave me, um...other...pleasure."

"Ew, disgusting!"

"Anyways, the reason I'm telling you this is because when I told Jess I was coming on this camping trip with you yesterday at school, she got pissed. She broke it off with me because she thought I was using her to get to you. And of course, she had to tell Nicole.

Nicole was so upset - I saw the whole thing happen. She screamed at Jess, she had no idea Jess had a party, she had no idea about the bonfire or us. She was tired of people leaving her out of things so in the heat of the moment she turned and told me basically everything."

I gulp - I feel like there's a golf ball down my throat. I can't believe Nikki would do that - I understand she was upset, but there was no need to break the friend code. What she did was horrible, and now I'm only going to be forced to come clean and hurt both Charlie and Dan with this revelation.

"Charlie, I'm sorry." I start to cry. "That was my original plan - you don't understand. I've loved you since middle school! I saw Dan, all vulnerable...and I used him. At first. But he cared for me at that party...and the crash...he showed me such a personal side of him that I fell for him. I fell for him hard and fast. I don't think the feelings ever faded for you but my love for Dan took first place. I'm sorry."

Charlie sits in silence. I can tell he is trying to decide whether to tell Dan, forget about our encounter, or try to pursue me. "What should I do?"

His statement surprises me. I thought for sure that he was going to tell Dan right away. "You can't tell Dan. You have to promise not to. It would only hurt him."

Charlie nods.

I have the familiar feeling in my stomach. He agreed too easily. "That's it?"

"That's it."

"Is this going to be weird now? Between us?" I ask him, clearing my throat.

"I promise you it won't impact this trip." Charlie crawls to the door and unzips it. "I think it's best if you go to your tent now."

Surprisingly, the rain has stopped plummeting, and is more of a spit. I nod, putting my raincoat back on and climbing out. I'm proud of my parents - they've set my tent up in no time and I can just crawl in. Slowly moving on my knees, I go in, close the zipper, and flop on the mattress. My mind, stressed and tired from what just happened, goes blank as my body relaxes and I fall into a deep sleep.

***

When I wake up I'm extremely hungry. The rain has stopped and the sun fights to penetrate the tent. Popping a couple mints from my bag, I brush my hair through and change my clothes. I realize my essentials for the day have been placed in my tent.