Chapter 8 | The Bonfire

I wake up to the sun blaring through the curtains at an intensity that burns into my irises and temporarily blinds me. Dan moans at my side, pulling me closer into him.

"Dan, get up babe," I kiss his nose lightly, then at different spots around his face. He scrunches up his nose cutely, still not opening his eyes.

"If you do that for another five minutes I'll get up." He offers, opening one eye.

"Oh hush," I playfully shove his head and wriggle out of his grip.

"You had quite a time with that Josie girl last night, didn't you?" Dan asks, sitting up.

"Really?" I ask. "All I remember is meeting her."

"Ya, that's probably best."

"What do you mean?" I ask in confusion.

"C'mon, Lola," he says. "You and her ended up dancing pretty closely on the table."

I groan, the events of last night coming back to me in snippets of memory.

"I grabbed her hips, didn't I?" I ask, putting my head in my hands. Dan nods and I put my palm to my forehead. "I'm so stupid, she probably thinks I'm lesbian or something now!"

"Calm down," Dan laughs. "Girls do that type of thing all the time at parties."

"Not me!" I exclaim. "Ugh Dan, I'm so sorry, I barely danced with you last night."

"It's okay," he says. He gets up, moving to where I stand.

"Dance with me now," he proposes, lifting my chin up and placing his hand on the small of my back.

"This is so corny," I laugh as we start to sway. "There's not even any music."

"That's the beauty of a cliché," Dan says. "They're guaranteed to work."

I laugh and we dance to no music, the beautiful silence engulfing us like a blanket. As Dan twirls me, I feel utterly at piece. That is, until there's a knock on the door. Dan smiles down at me and I shurg, kissing the tip of his nose. I open the door, and Josie stands there, completely made-up and perfect, ready for the day.

I can hear Dan retreat to the bathroom, oblivious to the fact that last night's mistake is standing right in front of me.

"Hey boo!" She sqeals, engulfing me in a hug. "What have you been getting up to in here? The sheets are all messy."

"Nothing," I say blushing. "Dan and I are taking it slow."

"No worries, no worries," she says, flopping backwards onto the bed. "I don't mind."

"Okay?" Her last sentence confuses me, but I brush it off.

"So, you wanna come to the bonfire tonight? A bunch of us are going down to the beach."

"Well, I don't know..." I'm not sure yet if I want to spend more time with Josie, she gives me a weird feeling and my gut is usually right.

"Come on! It'll be fun!" She exclaims, hopping off the bed and crossing the room to stand in front of me. "Plus, what other plans do you have?"

She raises a perfectly plucked eyebrow at me and I nod reluctantly.

"Good. See you at seven!" Josie calls over her shoulder, shutting the door. I sigh and lay back on the bed.

"Who was that?" Dan asks, exiting the bathroom and pulling up his zipper.

"It was Josie, she invited us to a bonfire tonight. I think she's making us go."