Chapter 17 | Lollipop

I sleep soundly, despite my mother's unfaithfulness. I owe it all to the gentle patter of the rain on the sportscar's windows, and the warmth of Dan's body against mine. When I wake up I know that Dan is still asleep, and I know I must tell him soon. My mother's actions have made me realize how ignorance is not always bliss. I should have told him a long time ago; I have only made it worse by letting it fester like a boiling pot of water. It's inevitable Charlie will tell him soon enough. I've known him long enough to know that it's extremely hard for him to keep anything to himself.

I stroke Dan's hand, attempting to wake him up. The small passenger seat is extremely claustrophobic, my leg is asleep, and my stomach is grumbling with hunger.

"Babe. Wake up." I say. Dan stirs behind me. I wish I could turn to see his beautiful eyes - they're beautiful and heavy with sleep whenever he wakes up. It's the most adorable thing.

"Sorry. Are you feeling better?" Dan releases me and shuffles over the middle section back to the driver's seat again.

"No," I say, rubbing my swollen eyes. I sit up. "But I am feeling safer, thank you. Where are we?"

"In the mall's parking lot." Dan looks around, then at the dashboard. "It's almost seven. Do you want to grab some dinner?"

"Yeah, that would be nice." I say, my stomach grumbling in agreement. Dan nods and takes of his jacket, handing it to me.

"It's still raining. Put it on or you'll get wet."

"But that means you'll get wet."

"I don't care." Dan smiles. "I just want you to be happy."

I smile, a twang of guilt once again paining me. That's what a lie does to you - it doesn't allow you to enjoy the good things because it haunts you. And this lie will haunt me until I reveal it.

We rush to the entrance of the mall, Dan attempting to flip his hair and get all the rain out as soon as we get inside.

"Ew, you're splattering me." I complain as drops of water fly and land on my clothes.

"Sorry, princess." He laughs, and I pout.

"This is not a time to be joking."

"Oh, come on. You love it." He jeers, and I smile.

"You're right, I do." I smile painfully, my mind straying from my mother's betrayal for a short second. The memory quickly takes over the situation once again, and Dan understands it's time to move on. He takes my hand in his, walking us down to the main floor and into the food court.

"What do you want?" He asks, gesturing around to the different fast food restaurants and small sandwich shops. Dan's voice takes on a southern accent, making me cringe and giggle at the same time. "You have a choice of all the finest fried foods in western Canada."

I smile and point to Thai Express, a beloved favourite of mine that will hopefully ease the pain today has brought. Dan nods in agreement and we stand in what has to be the longest line in the history of the world. We both order and grab our food, heading to a small booth in the corner of the food court. Halfway through our meal, I look up at Dan's hair and laugh.

"Oh. My. God. What is the matter with your hair?" I ask, holding my sides. I'm laughing so hard it's actually giving me stitches.

"What do you mean?" Dan asks, grabbing the napkin dispenser and looking at his reflection. His face goes grim as he sees his usually straight hair wavy and askew. "Oh, right."

"You have hobbit hair!" I exclaim, tears coming out of my eyes. Dan looks at me completely losing my shít and starts to laugh along. We both laugh for what seems like years. The people around us look at us like we're insane. Some even scuffle away and move to another table. When I finally regain my composure, I wipe my eyes with a napkin and sigh. "Oh my God, I've lost it haven't I?"