Chapter 20 | Lunch

"Yeah, so that's basically all that happened." Jess beams. "It was so amazing."

We're sitting outside on the lawn, Jess insisting on sitting outside while there was still no snow. Bitter cold nipped at our cheeks and tried to penetrate our warm mittens, which were wrapped around our coffees.

"That's so awesome." I smile, happy for a little normalcy. Jess was describing her date with Phil. It was their second, and he had kissed her at the end. Finally. "We should all go out tonight."

"Oh, we can't." Jess says, rolling her eyes. "I figured you forgot. It's that party at Mario's tonight. Josie told me you were going."

"Crap, right." I sigh. "So much has been going on, I can't believe it's already Friday. I haven't even told Dan yet."

"It's been four days since you forced that ultimatum on your parents. How's Dan taking it?" Jess asks.

"He's fine. Why wouldn't he be?"

"Oh, just because he was kind of forced to take you in. He might have not been ready for it, that's all." Jess tries to reason with me but for the past week my head hasn't been in the right place for reason.

"Not ready for it?" I raise my voice a tiny bit. "He was the one who basically admitted his love to me, even though we're teenagers."

"I know, but his mom hasn't even gotten back yet."

"What are you suggesting I do, Ms. Relationship Councillor?" I say sarcastically, getting up. "I have nowhere else to go."

"I'm just saying maybe you should consider going back home."

My mouth is agape with shock. "Did my mother put you up to this?"

"Of course not." Jess shakes her head. "I'm mad at her just as much as you are. I talked to your dad, and he looked terrible, Lola. He lost his wife and his daughter in one day."

"Oh get over the dramatics, you and them both. It's not like I'm dead." I started to walk away.

"You're the dramatic one!" Jess calls after me. "I'm just trying to help you and you're being exactly like your mother!"

I whip around, my ears not believing what they heard. "Take that back!"

"I'm sorry, but it's true." Jess holds her hands up in surrender. I huff and turn on my heels, walking away from her insanity.

"See you tonight!" I hear her call behind me and I roll my eyes. I just know I'm going to have to end up going, and I'm not at all happy about it.

Great, now I'm fúcked - I still have a whole 40 minutes left of lunch and Dan's on a field trip. Way to go with the no friends thing, dumbass. Really smart.

I walk across the field outside and open the doors of my overly-heated school. I swear maintenance turns the heat up either way too much or keeps it way too cold. I swear under my breath as I try to get into my locker, screwing up my code.

"What's the matter princess?" Charlie's voice is all of a sudden very close to me and I jump slightly at his words. He's leaning on the locker beside me, looking very smug.

"Charlie. Jesus Christ. Don't do that." I huff and retry my code again. I can feel his hot breath on my neck and try to ignore his stare.

"Your vulgarity is anything but charming, Lola Valerie Richards." Charlie lets out a soft chuckle and I breathe a sigh of relief as I can finally get into my locker.

"Well, too bad I don't need to charm you." I shrug off my coat and hang it in my locker, grabbing my biology textbook. "And don't call me by my full name. Ever again."