Chapter 16

In the morning, Rowena announced to everyone that the lost princess had finally been found. Everyone was very excited for her. She also announced a ball for the evening to celebrate.
   You had spent the time being cared for by servants and eventually dressed in a long golden dress, your hair pinned up and a golden tiara on your head.
    As you stared in the mirror at your reflection, you noticed just how much you had changed. Not too long ago, you were a lonely orphan. And now, you were a princess!
    And you knew in the ball room, your brothers were waiting for you. You had all the family you could ask for! And, yet, something felt missing...
                           * * * * *
   Rowena had decided to conduct her business with the two angels before the ball. She spoke with Castiel first who just wanted his wings back. It was a dangerous process to get them fixed but she manages it.
   With a final thank you to Cas, she escorts him out the door and he goes to join the boys at the ball.
    A few minutes later, she called from Gabriel. The archangel entered her study, once more back in his jeans, t-shirt, and leather jacket, a small frown pulling at his lips.
   He bowed as he entered the room. "You sent for me, your grace?"
    Rowena smiled. "Yes I did. You brought my granddaughter back to me. As per my agreement, you may have whatever reward you so desire, along with my gratitude."
   "I accept your gratitude but I desire nothing else."
   "Really?" She asked in surprise. "Nothing?" He nodded. "Gabriel, you lost your grace. Let me restore your power."
   "I don't want it anymore."
   "What do you want then?"
   Gabriel sighed and shook his head. "Unfortunately, nothing you can give."
   He started to walk out when Rowena stopped him. "Gabriel!" She shouted his name, making him stop and turn. "I know you. You were one of two angels who cared for our family. You've done so much for us. You helped my son to fulfill his dream and become king. You saved my granddaughter's life and mine. And now you have reunited us. Yet, you want no reward."
   "Not anymore."
   "Why the change of mind?"
   "It was more a change of heart. Besides the one thing I want I can never have."
    "Gabriel!" She called again as he once more tried to leave. "You know she loves you, right? You should talk to her."
    "I will keep that in mind."
    With that, Gabriel gave Rowena a final wave goodbye as he walked out the door, leaving Rowena alone to think.
    He was walking down the stairs when he saw you. His eyes widened as he saw you standing there in your golden gown.
    "(Y/n)!" He called.
    You looked up and saw him, a small smile appearing on your face as you looked into those gorgeous golden brown eyes you had fallen in love with.
    "Hello, Gabriel."
    He moved closer to you. So many things he wanted to say were on the tip of his tongue, ready to be spoken. He wanted to tell you the whole truth of who he was. He wanted to tell you how sorry he was for not being honest with you from the start. He wanted so badly to tell you just how much he loved you. You were his everything, his heart, his love, his weakness.
    Taking a deep breath, he said, "(Y/n), there's so many things I want to tell you." He took your hands, looking into your eyes. "It's just--"
    He was suddenly interrupted as the guy that served as your guard appeared appeared behind you. "Excuse me, young man. You must bow to your princess and address her as "your highness"."
    "No, that's not necessary."
    "Please, your highness," Gabriel said, letting go of your hands as he bowed low, "congratulations. I'm glad you found what you were looking for."
    You sighed in disappointment. "I'm glad you did too."
    Gabriel nodded, knowing he wouldn't be able to tell you anything now, not with the other man there. "Well...goodbye, your highness." He said, bowing again.
    With that, he took off. "Goodbye." You said, tears in your eyes.
    "Who was that man?" Your guard asked.
    "No one." You said. "Just somebody I used to know."