Chapter 8

"Coach," Austin raised both hands before him ,appealing to his teacher, "with all due respect, shut up!"

"I'm not sure whether you can supply all due respect while insulting me, Austin." Mr Irving did take a deep breath though, shutting his eyes.

"What the hell happened, sir?" Phitz said, looking around. He could see no one else except for them and could smell nothing. Salena was shaking, bent over with her hands set upon her knees. Austin and Phitz were by Mr Irving, standing in the centre of the T-junction of the halls.

"there are men outside," Mr Irving said slowly, "The power is out, the generator royally screwed....i mean stuffed...and the emergency exits have been barred."

Salena gasped, "You think that was deliberate, sir?"

"I don't doubt it for a second."

"I don't understand," Austin blinked slowly, "How do you know they're dangerous? Maybe they're 'good guys'."

Phitz turned to him , one eyebrow raised.

"Point taken."

"So how do we get out of here?" Phitz asked, leaning against the lockers that lined the walls.

"That," Mr Irving muttered, "Is the question."

"Well if its just us, perhaps we can hide somewhere? wait out the storm metaphorically?" Salena was hopeful but didn't sound convinced.

"Us?" Mr IRving flinched, "Ella!"

He dashed off, sprinting down the corridor.

As he began to follow at pace, Phitz called back to his friend, "Do you know an Ella?"

Salena sighed and ran after them. Austin turned to Ebony, who had shrunk back against the far wall.

"Coming?"

She looked startled, blinking her eyes and cocking her head to the side. she nodded, and together they ran after the others.