Prologue

The air conditioning was on much too cold, at least for the man scrambling for the controller. It wasn't in his desk drawer, he'd checked three times, but he couldn't recall having moved it. Straightening in his chair, he fixed his lab coat, flattening the collar against his shoulders. He really was getting cold.

"Looking for this?"

Glancing over his shoulder, the man smiled. "My dear, your talents are endless. What did I do to deserve you?"

He stood up and hurried to her, planting a loud kiss on her cheek. The sound quickly turned to a gurgle as he collapsed to the ground, knife protruding from his chest. He looked so shocked, so confused, that for a moment the woman felt something akin to sorrow. Then, the man dragged his last breath through his teeth and fell silent and she remembered she didn't care. Walking past him, she swiped the folder off his desk, checking each sheet was inside and, with a pause to throw the air conditioning remote in the draw and kick it shut, she strode out.

Six hours later, two men were sitting in a car watching police swarm in and out of the building. The younger huffed.

"We could just go in and commandeer the scene, check if they took it or not," he suggested, shifting in his seat. The car was too small for his liking, too cramped, and the steering wheel dug into his knees whenever he tried to slouch comfortably.

The other man swung his head to face him, brow raised. "oh really?"

"No," his friend sulked, drumming his fingers on the wheel, "but it would beat sitting here for another twenty minutes."

The passenger scratched his chin, nails scraping bristles and grinned. "You have no patience."

"You can't talk," he snorted, "I've heard stories about you doing many an impatient and reckless thing from Dad."

The man clapped a hand at him. "ah, rumour and old wives tales. You know how your Pa likes to spin 'em. A trait you inherited, no doubt." His smile faded and he nodded at his godson. "But I'm done here."

"Were we right?"

"Unfortunately." The man twisted in his seat. "Thank you for the drive. I know you and your brother are busy..."

The young man shook off his thanks. "Any time." He snorted, "except, it would seem, the next few days. I have a job to do."

"Indeed you do."

He started the car, pulling out of the car park easily. "God, I hate high school."