Chapter 39

"This is boring."

"Can I leave yet?"

"Shut up already!"

"God, it's cold in here."

Salena clamped her hand tighter over her mouth as she choked back a hysterical giggle. She didn't know what she was hearing, who she was hearing, but it still wasn't what she needed. Trying to give the strange words some substance, she imagined them, down to each letter, and sorted through them. Like the filing folder she hauled around every day at school, Salena flicked over them, her fingers twitching gently by her side.

"This is so fattening."

"Did I order pickles?"

"Why is he still talking?"

Her hands moved to her temples, massaging her scalp desperately.

"Will it look bad if I get another burger?"

"I would kill for a coffee right now."

"Public restroom against public humiliation..."

"If I shot him in the other leg he might shut up."

Salena's eyes flashed open - bingo.

A pimple covered boy with his jaw hanging open stood before her, his hands hanging limply by his sides and threatening to drop a plastic tray. Thankfully, it was empty. Trying for a polite smile, she snatched it from his grasp.

"Here, let me take that for you." Then she swivelled, sucked in a huge breath through her teeth that made her lungs itch, and took the several steps that carried her out from behind a bench and into the view of the resturant.

She had been right, it was practically deserted, but she honestly couldn't tell if that was a good or a bad thing: fewer people to negotiate, fewer people to hide behind. She refused to think about it, instead sidestepping an angry manager who was making a beeline for the boy behind Salena. As the woman started to yell, Salena let her head hang forward, straightening her glasses on the bridge of her nose and trying to be inconspicuous. But not too inconspicuous. Just inconspicuous enough.

Trying to step steadily and not over analyze the action of walking - Did her footsteps usually sound this loud? Were her knees usually this loose? Were her strides too short? - Salena walked across to the bin, slipping the tray into the designated compartment. She shifted the rough plastic around for a few seconds, stalling as she strained her peripheral vision to try and find the others. They had to be here. She'd....heard them.

A sharp movement to her right, made Salena flinch, and she turned slightly to see more quickly. Tucked away in a corner booth, she caught sight of the glare reflecting off a quazi-bald scalp. Her heart beat slowed for a second, taking a moment to recuperate, before she readjusted her cap and shuffled over to their table.

Licking her lips, she coughed lightly when she drew near, trying not to flinch as all four sets of eyes whipped up in her direction. There was an awkward pause as she tried to find words. Were the suits listening? Did she need to speak in code? Did she know how to speak in code?

"Can I take those for you?" They looked at her strangely, probably confused by the unusually deep voice she had put on, until she pointed at their empty cups.

Ms Smith nodded at her, pasting on a grateful smile. "Thank you. That's very kind."

Salena wasn't used to leaning over people and as she gathered up their cups she noted that things looked far different from above. For instance, Finnegan looks far smaller than he did when she had to look up at him, less lanky and just plain thin. She could also see the small smile pursed on Mr Irving's lips as his eyes flicked back to his colleague, dismissing Salena easily. She wasn't offended: it didn't feel like she had been found wanting, but rather that he was so enraptured with somebody else that he couldn't be bothered to be distracted by her.