Chapter 41

Ebony had never felt more alone, and that was saying something. 

They'd ducked out the back door, scurrying to the van as casually as they could and piled inside quickly. As Mr Irving steered them out of the parking lot, they all held their breaths and prayed to whichever god they believed in. Someone was listening, because they hit the highway a few minutes later without any further hitches. 

So now Ebony sat by herself, eyes fixed on the headrest in front of her and her fingers digging into the seat beneath her. She refused to even look at Austen - refused to even think about why she was refusing to look at him - and she didn't hate herself enough to try and strike up a conversation with Carissa. Salena was asleep on Phitz's shoulder, worry lines still marring her forehead, and Ebony didn't want to risk waking her. And Finnegan was too far away. She was alone. And afraid. 

Before that realization could settle too firmly, Ebony felt the car ramble to a stop and jerked her head to the front in surprise. Salena startled awake, sending a confused look around the van before remembering what was happening and sinking further into her chair. Mr Irving swiveled in the driver's seat, gesturing to Hazmat for an explanation. 

"Most of you haven't eaten," Haz said cheerfully, lifting himself out of his seat and hobbling into the aisle. "And since we're running ahead of schedule, I thought now might be a good time for a food break."

Austen raised an eyebrow. "Seriously?"

Even though she was angry at him, Ebony had to agree: stopping for food in the middle of what was effectively a drawn out game of hide and seek was.... stupid. 

"Yes," the man returned petulantly, folding his arms across his chest. "You doubt me?"

All the teenager's looked at Mr Irving. Hazmat scowled. 

"There are other reasons," Coach explained, unbuckling his seat belt. "The other car is parked here and we need to collect some disguises or... something." He shook his head lightly. "I can't believe I just said that out loud..."

They looked back Haz. "Didn't doubt you for a second," Austen quipped. 

Clamboring out of the vehicle after Hazmat, each cast a surreptitious look around the still-busy carpark. Salena glanced at her watch in surprise. 

"It's not even 9 yet," she murmured, in awe of the fact that they'd only been dealing with all of this for 6 hours. "Unbelievable."

Hazmat pointed at her. "You, with them." He indicated Ebony and Carissa. "You two together," - Phitz and Austen - "And you're with me, kid."

Finnegan frowned at the nickname. "Is it a good idea to split up?" he asked before Carissa could put her outrage into words. 

"Yes." Hazmat straightened his spine and started walking away, fighting hard to keep his walking even. He had to grit his teeth against the pain, but knew from experience that a guy with a limp was more memorable that one with a facial spasm. "A group our size is too noticeable. We want to blend in. A couple of girlfriends on a shopping trip, a couple of bros out for a milkshake, a pair of brothers picking up the groceries and a couple of for a romantic dinner will all go unnoticed."

Ms Smith blushed flamingo-pink. 

"I am not her friend," Carrie hissed, stepping bodily away from Ebony with a sneer. She sidled up to Austen, linking her arm through his before he knew what she was doing. "What about a guy, his friend and his girlfriend going out for milkshakes?"

Haz let out a booming laugh, doubling over and shaking his head. "Come on," he chuckled, wiping his eyes, "It has to be believable."

Carrie's mouth fell open, her arms falling limply by her side at the insult and giving Austen a chance to get away. Haz dug into his pocket, pulling his wallet free and turning to Salena. He winked at her as he dug out a credit card. 

"You, darling, are a rich girl with the full force of daddy's bank account behind you while you treat your friends. Own the identity." He passed the card over, digging out some $50 notes and passing them to the boys. He had another card which he held out to Mr Irving and Ms Smith. When neither of them moved to take it, he gave it a wiggle. "Come on, come on - we don't have all night. And save the protests: It's not my money either."

Mr Irving's frown deepened but he carefully took the card from him, burying it in his front pocket. Ms Smith watched his face out of the corner of her eye, trying to place the emotion she could read there. It wasn't annoyance or fear, more like he was trying to place a memory. Haz herded the children into the shopping center, telling them to reconvene out the front in an hour and then dragged Finn across the lot in search of the other car. 

When they were alone, Ella turned to her colleague. "A penny for your thoughts?" she asked softly, taking a careful step forward to start them moving in the right direction. 

Her voice dragged him out of whatever thoughts he was sifting through and he smiled at her apologetically as he kept pace with her. "Pardon me? Sorry Ella, I don't know where my head was at."

"You're forgiven," she chuckled, "After a day as unusual as today I'm surprised that any of us have the forethought to put one foot in front of the other."

Something in the back of his eyes, an emotion, twitched as she spoke, even though his expression stayed neutral. 

"What is it?" she asked, coming to a standstill. "I can see that you're hiding something. You can confide in me."

Anthony looked at her for a long moment, studying her face so intimately that Ella felt naked. His mouth opened - he hesitated like that for a nanosecond - and then he smiled. 

"I'm just trying to figure out where a couple goes on a romantic dinner at 9pm on a Thursday."

Ella was sufficiently distracted as she fought to keep her cheeks from flaming.