Chapter 4

*for those who don't know - Nuttied means to miss the ball as it is kicked between your legs. very embarrassing for a soccer player*

Swaying her hips, Carissa left Maths, and several cute boys, behind, grinning as she felt their eyes following her. Austin wasn't in her Maths class, she pouted at the thought, but that did allow for some careless flirting. Taking a left, Carrie arrived at her locker. She flung open the door and tossed her books inside, slamming her lock in place. Now she was free...

With a sinking feeling, accompanied by the prick of the detention slip in her skirt pocket, Carissa cursed. Stupid Coach Irving and colleagues. She remembered the type beneath the reason/s column: inappropriate language, inappropriate dress, inappropriate destruction of school property. They wouldn't know inappropriate language and dress if it came up and bit them on the skimpily covered arse. And inappropriate destruction of school property? As opposed to appropriate destruction of school property?

Swaying down the corridor again, Carrie headed for the bathroom. The grounds-keeper approached, ipod cranked, and scowled at Carissa. she gave him the finger and ducked inside, imagining her next detention slip. Reason/s: inaqppropriate behaviour towards school staff. Like she hadn't heard that before.

In front of the mirror, Carissa scrunched her curls, before applying another layer of lip gloss. Then she stepped back for a judgemental inspection. Her honey highlights were growing out, as was her fringe, and her skin was a shade paler than she preferred it. Her waist could be thinner and her bust a size bigger, but she wasn't trying to be picky.

Puffing a wisp of hair from her face, Carissa gave her hands a quick wash, flicking her fingers at the mirror. A toilet flushed and behind her a stall opened. A cruel smile lit up her face as Ebony emerged. The girl raised her head and screamed. Carissa baulked for a second.

“There’s no need for a reaction of that magnitude,” she snarled, but the girl was frozen, mouth open. With trembelling fingers, she raised one arm, pointing behind Carissa.

Annoyed, Carissa turned to look in the mirror behind her, “If this is supposed to be…”

Carissa froze. Her skin was alive, wriggling and bubbling as if possessed. Her hair had colour, like dye, rippling through it in waves. Carissa screamed. Slowly, her skin settled and her hair held her normal rich blond.  A single tear ran down her cheek as she raised hesitant fingers to her face.

Breathing heavily, she glared at Ebony, “If you tell anyone about this, I’ll make your life hell.”

Carissa fled the bathroom, leaving a stunned Ebony in her wake. She clutched at the door, wide-eyed and staring at the mirror. Breathing shallowly, she raise one hand, taking hesitant steps forward. Her fingertips brushing her own cold reflection, grazing the glass and sending a shiver down her spine. Letting out a jagged breath, Ebony shuffled toward the door, keeping her back to the stalls as she nervously watched the mirror. It shouldn’t be possible.

Ducking into the doorway, Ebony glanced back at the bathrooms, her brow furrowed. She tried to convince herself it had been a trick of the light, and nothing more but Carissa’s expression, and then her scream…

Ebony pressed up against metal and she span, screeching. The grate was lowered across the doorway, fastened with a padlock. Grabbing the bars with two hands, Ebony gave it a hesitant shake. Her cage rattled but didn’t rise. Throwing caution to the wind, Ebony tugged at the bars furiously. With a final look that ought to have had the grate collapsing of its own will, Ebony stepped away, throwing back her head. She raised one hand to her face and rubbed her eyes.

“This cannot be happening.”

 Phitz threw the ball again, aiming for his friend's head. Austin had been out of it for all of training. The ball slammed into his head and he let out a yelp. Phitz couldn't keep a straight face.

Austin threw the ball back at his friend, yelling over his friend's hysterics, "What was that for? Training is over, idiot."

Phitz caught the ball, wiping a tear from his eye, "I'm surprised you know. You were hardly here at all."

Austin walked over to his friend, grabbing his bag and slinging as arm over Phitz's shoulder, "What? I was here the whole time! Saw you air-swing over on the wing and land on your butt," he snickered.

Phitz ruffled his hair, "And you were here when that douche Marcus Nuttied you at the eighteen yard box and scored?"

Austin shrugged but Phitz pressed on, "What's up with you? Ever since you were asking about that Ebony girl...." PHitz's eyes became saucers, "Oh no."

Austin laughed, "What?"

Phitz stepped in front of him, gripping his shoulders, "Don't do it, mate."

"Don't do what?"

"Please, please, please don't fall for her."

Austin grinned, "Come on dude - as if."

"Don't, don't give me that coddswaddle! You like her don't you? Oh, this is bad."

Austin snickered, "Did you say 'coddswaddle'?"

"Deny it,' Phitz said, "and no lies."

Austin shrugged, "She's whatever."

Phitz raised an eyebrow, "You're whatever, punk."

He ruffled his friend's hair, and they began a shoving match interrupted shortly by another boy, "Coach wants you, Captain. And you Phitz. Ten minutes in his office he said."

Austin smiled slowly, "Marcus..."

Salena scribbled the final words across the page of her notebook, her tongue poking out between her teeth in concentration. She snapped the books she had piled across the library desk shut with a sigh, gathering them into her arms. Struggling beneath the load, she glanced at her watch. 3:38. Her step-father had told her she'd better be home by four. Turning to the deserted counter, Salena dropped the volumes through the return slot and swept her things into her bag.

Ms Smith appeared in the doorway, "Salena?"

Salena slung her bag over her shoulder, "I've finished Ms Smith. Just heading out. Thank you for keeping this open for me."

"No worries Salena," Ms Smith shut the door as Salena scurried out, twisting the key in the lock, "I've got a detention to supervise, so will you be alright to walk out by yourself?"

Salena nodded, "Thank you, Ms Smith."

Her teacher watched her walk away, a soft smile on her face. Footsteps clattered behind her.

"Ms Smith, do you have detention again?" 

Ms Smith turned to see Mr Irving walking toward her, "Anthony, call me Ella. Yes, I do."

Mr Irving smiled and Ms Smith fell into stride beside him, "Well, you have the pleasure of my company this week."

The pair approached the classroom and Mr Irving held open the door, "After you."

Inside, Finnegan Watt and Carissa Faulk were sitting at opposite ends of the room. Carissa was draped across the desk, her mobile phone in her hand and her thumbs moving at lightening speeds. She glanced up as the teachers entered, smirking. The Mr Irving and Ms Smith exchanged a glance.

Finnegan was to the far left, his feet kicked up on a chair. his tie was loosened and he was scribbling in a notebook. He gave Mr Irving a lopsided grin.

"Good Afternoon, Coach," He nodded at Ms Smith, blushing and lowering his head. 

The teachers took their seats, Mr Irving swinging his feet onto the desk and staring at the ceiling and Ms Smith opening a book. 

Then the lights went out.