Chapter 6

THE WINTER SOLSTICE

"Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap

"Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap." Katara stated, looking over the big clouds surrounding them as Persephone smiled.

"They won't hold you." She told the girl, Aang smiling and thinking of an idea.

"Maybe you should give it a try." Sokka told his sister while Katara made a face.

"You're hilarious." Katara muttered, Aang getting up quickly.

"I'll try it!" He yelled and jumped off Appa, laughing with his staff in hand to make Persephone smile and watch him. Aang has landed straight through the cloud, only to disappear and within a second come back with his clothes soaking wet.

"Turns out, clouds are made of water." Aang told her, taking a deep breath and drying himself off with a ball of air.

Persephone grinned and looked to Katara. "Hey, what is that?" Katara asked, and they looked over the dead land, Persephone frowning while she looked away from the burnt land.

"It looks like a forest fire." She told them, not giving anyone eye contact.

"It's like a scar." Sokka said, and the four landed, letting everyone see what the damage was. "Listen. It's so quiet. There's no life anywhere."

"Aang, Persephone, are you okay?" Katara asked, and before Persephone could speak, Sokka sighed.

"Fire Nation! Those evil savages make me sick. They have no respect for- -" and Katara sushed him, Persephone wincing at his name calling.

It had gotten to her eventually, how everyone assumes that everyone in the Fire Nation was evil or bad. She took a deep breath to calm herself and she pursed her lips. "Just, I wish I was never a Fire Bender sometimes." She told Katara, looking over the ashes.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Persephone." Sokka said, blushing from embarrassment as the boy sometimes forget that's where she was from. She looked out towards the middle of the burnt down forest and saw Aang looking at the ground as he fell to his knees.

"Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?" Aang asked his friends.

"Aang, you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you." Katara tried to save.

"Yes, it does. It's the Avatar's job to protect nature, but I don't know how to do my job." Aang told her.

"That's why we're going to the North Pole- - to find you a teacher." Katara said to him.