Chapter 15- FLORESCENT HOPE

RIHANNA'S POV:

                            "Here it is .Your tea. Be wary,it is very hot",he put it on the kitchen counter ,"so tell me about your thesis",back onto his cliche.

                            Because he mentioned it again though I successfully dodged to answer it once in the elevator ,now I am obliged to go into details and probably explain my failure in interviewing the subject.

                          I chose to be vague again,"almost done,Mr.Ryan"

                      "What almost!!Be specific.Did you talk to your subject,patient of long term illness?",he caught me.

                    "Oook..... the thing is, everything went fine until my subject turned out to be my friend's sister."I finally spilled.

                     "So what's stopping you?How is it a problem to your work?Your friend...you mean ...Leena's sister?"his typical cold eyes suddenly changed to full attentive ones,probably by the thought of his crush.

                     "No Professor.Leena doesn't have any siblings. It is Joey",I corrected,"You may wonder how all of this is related to getting case information but it is all complicated."

                   "Who is this Joey?is he the guy who always tags along with you two?"

                 Mr.Ryan is obviously drifted away from talking about thesis at the thought of Leena.Did he even listen to me completely?!!ok I shall move along his flow.

               "Yes that guy,he is Leena's co-intern doctor at Med.school",taking the last sip of my tea I knew this talk is not going to end soon ,"so actually Joey's sister had the history of..."

              "Is this doctor guy,Joey  Leena's boyfriend?",Ryan cuts in.

             Looking at him being starkly showcasing interest in Leena made me chuckle.He is not bothered to be secretive,why should I ?"Don't worry professor.Joey is Leena's friend for now."

                "Why would I worry!! I am just asking",he jumped into defense,"what do you mean by 'for now'?Do they have any history?",he is worried amid the act of defense.

                   "Oh Mr.Ryan.Let's be honest now.You are clearly into Leena.It is all written over your face"

                "No" ,he faltered,"I am just interested as her neighbor.So tell ,what do you mean by 'for now' ",he is being persistent without admitting.

                " Fine Mr.Neighbor",I smirked,"I wont make you uncomfortable anymore.Joey had feelings for Leena for long time but he didn't confess yet.So who knows what happens if he does!"

             "If I am not crossing the line,can I ask why  he did not confess?  she might have accepted him as she knew him for long".He knew he is crossing line but couldn't stop from instincts.

               "That's because Leena had a baggage heartbreak .She is still not over her boyfriend who died 6 years back .You know that 6 years is hell lot of period to be mourning over dead boyfriend.So Joey ,being close to her and having known herdepression for all these years knew that she will reject him.He fears that all this love thing may ruin their friendship."

               "But having feelings and staying as friend ,is it not cowardly and deceiving himself? Sorry I  am being judgy about his personal life"

               "But having feelings and staying as friend ,is it not cowardly and deceiving himself? Sorry I  am being judgy about his personal life". Professor's senses seem working despite being blinded by crush.

              "you must be sorry but I understand",I smiled,"you might label it as cowardice but may be he cares about his friendship more than losing love .I am sure he stays as friend even if rejection happens"

             "Why are you only thinking of the possibility of rejection,one day she might move on from her grueling past". He is being hopeful.

             "Believe me Mr.Ryan ,I knew her better than anyone.Until I never saw a single sign of her even trying to move on .Though on pills and repeated sessions of therapy she is dwelling in that hell refusing to be saved.I too hope that she finds happiness and love in someone else", I sighed .

           " Someone ? not just Joey? ..why?are'nt you rooting for their relationship being their mutual friend?" He is confused at my seemingly disloyal words.

            " Yes because I am their mutual friend I know they have less chances for their relation to happen.Leena sees him more like junior friendly caring figure and never like a man.So now you understand why as her best friend I keep my options multiple so that chances of love happening for Leena again are high.Enough of Leena talk ,she won't be happy with me telling you about her lovelife.But as I already mentioned, I am praying on more options. You even stopped me from telling about why my theses is i problem",I finally recovered the actual topic.

             " Oh yeah,I got carried away. So what's the problem with Joey's sister?" .He is finally asking.

           " Due to post traumatic stress disorder I can't talk to her about her  accident history.Should I change my subject?"

             "Rihanna, you don't emphasize the entire concept of your topic .You just have to study the psychological changes and find any deviation of her attitude from normal healthy person's mindset pointing towards her  illness.So interact with her about daily activities with help of a self-made questionnaire  and note any important changes . Since she is your friend's sister ,it is not a problem but an advantage of getting your work done easily and building relation simultaneously. You dont need to mention about her trauma",  he concluded clearly in ease.

            I am motionless at his brilliant mind. Closing my fish-like opened mouth,"thank you Prof. It's all clear now.Thank you for the tea invitation,I will leave", I stretched my back and got up to leave. 

          " One more thing. Is Leena ok?she passed my invitation and she looks tired". He is worried.

          " Aah. That is because Ananya's accident reminded her the death of Rohan and same reason for her blunt rejection of your invitation.Don't worry . She'll be fine."

           He smiled difficultly,"thank you for being honest and sharing about Leena and is it the City Medical School, the nearby one where Leena is doing internship? I am just asking as her neighbor". He is still not admitting.

            "Yes that nearby one.  See you again Mr.Neighbor", I smiled teasingly.