Chapter 13- UNMASKED

JOEY'S POV:

                     Clad in lies for years, hiding vulnerability , keeping secrets in desperation for normal life and suppressing the darkness to the extent of deceiving my dear ones.... thoughts kept racing along with my heartbeat.I kept running in fear of my hidey-holes of secrets being exposed to the woman I care most in my life.

                     I slammed the door open, took in huge lungfuls to control my heaving chest while Leena stopped looking at the pictures of Ananya and my father on the wall and glanced at me with eyes clearly stating that she cannot understand me.She didn't utter a word but her silence is yelling in my ears"you became a stranger to her".This moment I feel the shame of being unclothed exposing my pitiful life.

                     I pulled myself together,"let me explain,Leena". Meanwhile I lost my patience by my phone ringing continuously in this awkward timing .It is Rihanna,I picked in frustration,"What now ?!!!Can't you wait for sometime Rihanna? Can't you understand that I am not lifting call because I am busy ?"there is silence on other side,"Rihanna!! are you there?"

            ......"so you are the guardian of patient Ananya Jones .What are you ,Joey ? Why did you lie?!!",I am dazed by Rihanna's words and looked at my phone. She called the other number which I am using in secret for the sake of Ananya. I am busted. I didn't notice that she is calling the other number and talked as usual.I cut the call without answering her and gripped the phone tight in helplessness,"okay,time to come clean about everything.Its not that I committed a sin but hiding the important part of my life from my trusted people is not acceptable .I am sorry Leena"

                    "Who is Ananya Jones? Your sister? But I never knew that you have one. You told that you were a single child. Is this the reason why you never invited us to your home. You are taking care of your sick sister.What is wrong in that ?why do you hide your life like that in lies?"her eyes are full of confusion.

                    "Ananya is my stepsister.Yes I am truly single child.She sustained spinal injury three years back in an accident.Her body was found drowned on the shores of the Great sea with some injuries. She was paralysed and bedridden since then. Initially she couldn't even vocalize and later she recovered after physiotherapy but she suffered severe multiorgan dysfunction due to those injuries. Ananya is barely breathing while her vital organs are being progressively damaged.You must have seen her case record,she is on dialysis these days."

" So when Rihanna went to hospital to meet Ananya,you were there not for visiting your friend's father.   Actually you didn't borrow my car to attend marriage."

                "Yes",I dropped my head in guilt.

             "Why would you do that ,Joey? Aren't we your only friends? We are there to support you. Friends are meant for sharing not only joy but also despair. There is nothing to feel embarrassed in taking care of your sick..."

       " No ",I interrupted her,"I am not embarrassed but I got sick of people pitying me for my morbidly ill sister.I grew tired of being called orphan.I can only read pity in their eyes.I am tired of people treating me like that.I want to feel normal. There is nothing abnormal or weird about being alone in taking care of my  sister who is bravely fighting with death.I hate those pitiful eyes screaming out'these poor orphans,how pitiful!!!'I desperately wanted people to look at me normally.

                     Now I understand that I made mistake by not telling you.I should have believed in you atleast.But I am scared to believe.I have only you and Rihanna in my life and I feared that it may ruin what I had with you.

                 Do you remember ,two years back when we were in our fifth semester I didnot attend college for about two months after hearing the news of my father's demise. It was then when I first met my  stepsister and she is already sick.I feared that you and Rihanna might also look at me with same sympathy loaded eyes and judge my life as pitiful orphan",my voice trembled as I said those and I couldn't control my tears anymore.

I feared that you and Rihanna might also look at me with same sympathy loaded eyes and judge my life as pitiful orphan",my voice trembled as I said those and I couldn't control my tears anymore

Leena stepped towards me and put her arms round me ,"I am hurt that you thought we would treat you like others. You even know that I am an orphan too and I even lost my only love of life. I am disappointed that you did not trust us to understand you. Never and ever utter the word 'orphan'. We are here for one another. We are here for Ananya too. There is nothing weird about your life .If she is your family ,she is my family too"