1- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Pairing : Smillan (Matt Smith & Karen Gillan)

Fandom: Doctor Who

Rating: PG - some coarse language

Summary: AU where Matt and Karen are neighbours who are Christmas decoration rivals

Words: 1305

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rudolph the red nosed reindeer

Had a very shiny nose

And if you ever saw him

You would even say it glows

Great, an inflatable reindeer ten times the size of her inflatable snowman, Karen thought. It even came with a bloody red blinking nose (no pun intended there). Of course Matt Smith put the inflatable reindeer on the rooftop, where it would be visible miles away. Karen was tall, at 5'11, but not tall enough to get anything onto her rooftop, not since someone stole her ladder. One second she was hanging Christmas lights, and the next, her ladder disappeared. It was obviously Matt Smith, Karen thought.

"Oi, Gillan! Nice snowman!" Matt mocked from across his lawn. Her inflatable Snowman looked like an ant compared to his gigantic reindeer.

"Shut up, Matthew. I'm going to call the cops and tell them you stole my ladder!" Karen yelled.

Matt laughed loudly," You haven't got any proof! Besides, then I'll have to tell the cops you stole my candy cane!"

How dare he accuse her of stealing from him. Like she'd ever want to touch his decorations. "I don't know what the hell you're talking about!"

"Btich!"

Karen ignored him and stepped back to admire her house. Every year she and her neighbour Matt would have the most extravagant decorations, and they'd always compete with each other. The neighbourhood gave a prize to the best decorated house each year, usually a gift card of some sort. It didn't matter what the prize was, Matt and Karen only cared about the feeling of winning. Nobody else in the neighbourhood even bothered to enter, because either Matt or Karen would win every year. They've both won twice, so this year would be a tie-breaker.

Karen's lawn was bordered with small candy canes, Christmas lights hung from the roof and around every tree and bush in her yard, horizontally,vertically and diagonally. Lights strung across the second story spelled out "MERRY CHRISTMAS", but the "CHRISTMAS" part had fallen and she couldn't fix it because she didn't have her ladder. She had a huge snowglobe with a fake blizzard inside and a snowman beside, plus a large trainset that ran the perimeter of her garden. Wreathes were displayed on every door, and she even had a hologram of Santa jumping from window to window. She had three inflatable dancing Santas on the other side, opposite the snowman and the snowglobe. "I'm missing something," she murmured to herself under her breath. She dashed back inside her house and took out one last thing from the box. A mistletoe. She had no idea why she had it there, but it seemed to be the perfect missing piece to her display. She hung the mistletoe on the front door frame, and stepped back to admire her house. Perfect.

Meanwhile, Matt was tying down the last rope to secure the Rudolph on his roof. The cold winter wind wrecked his display last night. It knocked down the reindeer and crashed into his plastic penguins. He glanced over at his neighbour Karen's decorations. Pretty impressive, he had to admit. Karen was standing in front of her house with a hand on her hip, one of her incredible long legs bent, her head cocked slightly and she was biting her lip. Shit, Matt thought. Why did his Christmas-decoration-rival have to be so cute? Damn it Matt, focus he told himself. He tore his gaze away from Karen and started picking up his penguins. This penguin has a red plaid scarf. Karen owns a red plaid scarf, Matt thought. Then, he groaned because he caught himself thinking of her, again. It was impossible to get her out of his head.

The next morning, Matt stepped out onto his lawn to admire his decorations, as he did every day. He opened the front door, and saw Karen standing on his porch and he screamed. Holy crap am I seeing things now? Matt thought he'd gone mad. First he was always thinking of her now he was seeing her everywhere.

"Good morning," Karen said. So she was real. She was really there.

"Blimey." Matt mumbled. "What do you want?"

Karen rolled her eyes, holding out a gigantic red and green striped candy cane decoration.

"Ha, you did steal my candy cane! You felt guilty didn't you!" Matt shouted, doing a triumphant victory dance on his doorstep.

Karen made a frusturated noise. "Oh my god, no. I found this lying beside the rubbish bin! I told you, I didn't take it! Someone else did! And you know what else? My ladder was also there. Somebody's screwing with us!"

"Why would it be in the rubbish bin?" Matt asked, confused.

"I don't know, but it wasn't me. Believe me. We've been competing at this for what, 4 years now? We've always played fair and square, so why would I start cheating now? Why would you? None of this makes sense!" Karen started babbling. Matt hated seeing her face look like this, all concerned, worried and... hurt. He hurt her. Indirectly. He wanted to hug her.

"I believe you," he sighed. "Your house is really beautiful," he added. Like you he wanted to say.

"Thank you," Karen smiled.

"I can help you with the lights, if you want," Matt offered, pointing to the dangling "CHRISTMAS".

Karen smiled. "Okay. Thanks." They walked in awkward silence over to Karen's lawn, and then Matt held the ladder while Karen fixed the lights. She insisted on doing that part herself.

"I didn't steal your ladder you know that, right?" he said.

Karen grinned," I know."

After they were finished, Karen said," Want to come in for tea?"

"Yeah, sure," Matt said. They walked up her front steps, until she got to her door and saw the mistletoe hanging there. Shit. Shit shit shit shit. She completely forgot about that being there. Matt noticed it too, because he murmured "mistletoe." Matt hesitated, and then he cupped her face with one hand and kissed her on the lips. It wasn't like he snogged her or anything, it was more like a peck on the lips. Matt enjoyed every millisecond of that. Her lips were warm despite the freezing weather outside, and they were oh, so soft. Karen stood there with her eyes wide and with a slightly shocked expression, even though she quite liked that kiss and craved for more.

"Let's - em, go inside," she said awkwardly, and then made two cups of tea. They sat down in her living room where she was facing the window that had the view to Matt's house.

"Karen- I just wanted to say that I think I've-" Matt began, but he was interrupted by Karen jumping up from her armchair and screaming.

"Kaz? What is it?" he asked. She pointed out the window, where his Rudolph on the roof came crashing down. Something was also dragging it away from his lawn. Matt and Karen ran over to Matt's lawn. They were finally going to catch who the real thief was.

"Stop right there you-" Karen hollered. She couldn't finish her sentence. "You-you... you deer." She stopped in her tracks, there it was, in front of her. A deer was dragging Matt's inflatable Reindeer.

"Blimey," Matt mumbled. "It was this deer all along? This deer was stealing our stuff?"

Matt and Karen exchanged a look, and then burst out laughing. They had no idea how a deer got here, what it was doing here, or what they should do with it, but that didn't seem to be the issue for them. Matt kissed Karen again, more confident this time.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N : Whewww okay just wanted to say that this was really fun to write :) and I hope you enjoy it! I'll have a different paring for my next fic, and with a different prompt! I look forward to writing more Christmas fics !