Chapter 23

"You finally... came.. to my home.. right... in front of me..." Oyakata said weakly.

"The demon... my family.. the Demon Hunters have been chasing... for a thousand years... Amane.. what form... what shape... does this man... have...?"

"He looks like a man in his late twenties. But his eyes are plum red. And his pupils are vertical like a cat's," she said hesitantly.

"Oh... okay.. I thought you'd come... for sure... I'm sure you're extremely mad at me.. at the Ubuyashiki family... but that's also why... I was the only one.. who thought.. you'd come kill me yourself..." Oyakata smiled.

"I'm truly disappointed, Ubuyashiki. I've lived a thousand years without showing signs of aging. And the old family who's gotten in my way all this time is now reduced to this. Repulsive. Utterly repulsive. You already smell like a goddamn corpse, Ubuyashiki," Muzan growled.

The dying man slowly sits up dispite the steering pain that rose.

"I figured.. as much... I... was told by the doctors... half a year ago.. that I was going to die in a few days.. yet here I am.. still alive. And the doctors.. were at a loss for words.. and I solely.. dedicated my soul to defeating you, Muzan..."

"And your fleeting dream will go to waste tonight. I will kill you right now."

"You.. might not know this, but..." he said slowly, sitting up fully with the help of his wife at his side.

"You and I... are of the same blood. You were born.. a thousand years ago.. so maybe your blood is different from mine.."

"I feel no emotion here. What are you trying to say?"

"A monster like you.. came out of this family... and that led to my family.. to be cursed... every child born in our family was weak, and they died right away... but when our family was about to get wiped out from existence, the priest gave us some advice...

"A demon came from your bloodline.. so you must dedicate your soul to defeating him.. and if you do that, your family will not die out... we have received wives from the priests for generations.. and our children are more resilient to death now.. but nobody in our family... had lived beyond thirty.."

"And now you're reduced to ramblings. It's utterly disgusting. Did that sickness get into your brain? That is of no consequence to me. After all, the heavens are not punishing me," Muzan said, pointing to his head.

"So... that's what you think... cough... but.. I have my own ideas about that... Muzan.. what is your dream?"

The demon stayed silent.

"It's been thousands of years.. what kind... of dreams do you have exactly...? How about I make a guess.. Muzan. I understand your heart and soul. You dream of enternity... you dream of being indestructible."

"Exactly. And it will come true very soon. Once I get my hands on Nezuko and (Y/N)."

"Your dream won't come true, Muzan."

"You seem pretty confident in their hiding place. But unlike you, I have a lot of time on my hands."

"You... are misunderstanding something."

"About what?" His expression darkened.

"I know something... about eternity. It is nothing but human thoughts. Thoughts last for eternity. They are indestructible."

"This is foolish... you're talking utter nonsense."

"The Demon Hunters have never died out for a thousand years. True, a lot of unfortunate children have died, but they haven't disappeared at all. You just said... the truth is foolish. Let me prove to you that human thoughts are indestructible.