Chapter Eight

As the days began to resemble a normal life, Sanem accepted what she now had.  This was her story, how she told it, and no one else.  That feeling empowered her to explore all that life had to offer. Her writing allowed her hurt to talk out loud,  keeping it from ravishing her  heart and soul.  

Leila came to visit, as much as possible those next several days, knowing her sister was facing the battle of a lifetime.  Her strength amazed her, where did it come from, she thought.  Wondering if she, herself, had been dealt this heartbreak, how would she handled it.  Her smile was there as always, warm and sincere. It hid what loving someone more than yourself was suppose to mean.  

Can tried to carry on,  but the absence of Sanem met him at every corner.  The feel for her creativity was evident, as the team struggled with their campaigns.  Sanem always had unusual and fresh ideas, that captured the essence of each possible client..Can had a sadness about him, it crept through him. What was once a vibrant and exhilarating man, was now subdued and quiet.  His brother worried about him, wondering how long this would last. Wishing the memory of the past two years would reappear, as quickly as it had been taken. He had the same thoughts and mindset as the Can before, but the desire to act on them had  been abandoned.  Aicha was a frequent visitor to his office, since they had returned from their climbing trip.  Emre couldn't say he was a fan of her's, but she was  a client and a very important one at that..  The attention she lavished on Can in front of everyone, angered the people that were close the Sanem.  She was more than willing to please him in any way.  

Sanem was making great progress with her book. The first half had been submitted, read and excepted. The publisher felt this book would be accepted and favored as much if not more than the first book. To have a sequel be as powerful as the main story was a feat unlike non other. It proved the strength of the writer,  whether the story be fiction or true.  She took  pride in her ability to allow herself to still live in the moment, let herself still feel the pain and hurt that had made her who she was.  It had to be that way,  her heart wouldn't have it any other way.  

The days had lingered into weeks, just thinking of her had elevated into the living and breathing thought of her. What had happened to the adventurous, solitary man he had been. Just the time at home alone nearly drove him crazy. Did he hear her laugh,... at times he actually would look for her in another room... They only welcomed corespondents was the occasional text from her asking him how he was. The pleasantries between them was comfortable and warm. A small conversation with her on a text could lift his spirits and make the day bearable.  To keep his sanity,  from time to time, Can would take Aicha up on her many invItations to go for a drink after work. She suggested more than just a drink from time to time but it always met with cool and resounding NO.... That part of Can life had been crossed out, as if that need for physical contact with a woman had been removed or already taken.  He himself didn't understand it,  but the very idea of what she offered  had seemed wrong and inappropriate.  There was still the flashbacks that would happen from time to time, mostly at night and sometimes in his dreams..  They always seemed so real and he would fight  the urge to call Sanem and find out.  

The friendship of Maya and Selim had turned into one similar to that of Ayhan and Osman. They would take her up on her offer to come for dinner, though her culinary skills were not the best, they tolerated it and enjoyed her company.  She had made it a point to go out with them more on the weekends, their enthusiasm for fun was contagious.  When she was alone to write, the memory of Can surrounded her, allowing her words to spill out, to bring to life all that she had inside of her.  It would happen as she relived it on paper, the need to connect with him. Just a few words to him, to let him know she was thinking of him.  Did he care?  She thought he did,...or he wouldn't reply so quickly.  At times there was a text from him that said simply,  " Hi, are you ok? " ..........She knew she needed to move on......but how could she. 

The trips to her old neighborhood were draining and filled with drama. They continuously begged her to come home. Bombarding her with questions about everything and everybody.   She loved them, but she felt suffocated around them.  Her visits became less as time wore on.. Leila and CeyCey kept her up to date of happening around the agency, with the exception of the ever present Aicha. They felt sorry for Can, she circled him like a vulture, just waiting for a sign of weakness...It was all Leila could do to keep from pouncing on her at times......

The team had been working hard on a new proposal for a potential new client,  night and day, you might say.  With the paperwork done and the presentation ready, Can offered the team a little time off.  He brought in pizza and everyone ate and relaxed. Giving them the time to recharge their batteries,  that was an important part of a company.. The atmosphere was happier to spite the obvious absence of Sanem..  Can gave everyone the rest of the day off after lunch. The presentation was the following day, so everyone would be back ready to work...CeyCey was anxious to see Sanem, since he hadn't visited her in couple of weeks.  He called her,  " Hey Sanem, I have the afternoon off, "  he beamed., " thought I would come visit. "   Excitedly she answered,  "Perfect, I'll be so glad to see you. What  time are you coming? "   They planned to meet after her shift at 3:00 so she rushed to do her cleanup.   They would meet at the little cafe on the corner by the coffee..  CeyCey told her he would see if Leila could get away and come with him too.   He rushed to Leila's office,  " Leila I'm going to meet with Sanem, do you want to come with me? " he babbled... Having a ton of work to do on other clients she had to decline, asking him to apologize to her.  CeyCey assured her he would..

Frozen, listening, afraid to move, Can overheard the whole conversation, from the other side of the door...His instinct to follow CeyCey shocked even him.. He never even thought about the consequences he just dropped the file he had in his hands and left to follow CeyCey.  Watching him walk on down the street, and not hailing a taxi had stunned him.  Was she that close, close enough to walk to, he thought.  He kept a safe distance,  while the anticipation of seeing her grew to something overwhelming .  

He watched as CeyCey entered a small cafe, he stood back, peering in the window, he wondered what he must look like, but he really didn't care.  He had never done anything like this before, and it scared him a bit, but he had to see her. Just a glance was all needed......

Then his eyes found her.....there she was, as beautiful as ever.  His body shivered, what was this feeling?  Was it love.......it was a feeling he didn't quite understand.