Chapter 41: The Ledarmal

41. The Ledarmal

Loki’s sceptre hit the floor with a crack as he stood, and I watched him apprehensively.

“You should kneel when a King stands,” He remarked, his eyes flickering along the group. I snorted, and Tony raised an eyebrow.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right – but I don’t really want to bow down to Thor.”

Thor shrugged, and Loki shot Stark a dark look.

“I was referring to the King of Atlantis – aka me.”

“Yes, we got that,” I informed him coldly.

Loki turned to me, and then suddenly grinned mischievously.

“Why don’t we have a private conversation, daughter? I am sure you have a few questions before I destroy you and your beloved team.”

“You’d destroy your own daughter?” I asked dryly, and he shrugged nonchalantly.

“Of course.”

“Just checking.”

Captain America suddenly stood and gripped Diana’s arm. I yelled in outrage as he began to drag her away, and Diana was whimpering in fear. Loki’s eyes flashed to Thor’s hand as he gripped my uncle gripped the hilt of his hammer.

“Don’t do that, Thor – or you’ll regret the consequences.”

Thor hesitated, and then released the hilt. The two Frost Giants lumbered forward, and grabbed each of Thor’s arms before pulling him in the same direction that Diana went in, through a side door. He went quietly, probably biding his time.

That left Tony and I alone with Loki.

“I’m not going anywhere without her,” Tony said bluntly, before Loki could even say anything.

Loki smiled secretively.

“Fine. I suppose Eldrid does need some assistance staying upright anyway.”

He hadn’t missed my limp, and I scowled, feeling weak before my powerful father.

Loki sat back down, smiling casually on the throne.

“What’s that?” I asked curiously, nodding toward the blue crystal thing on his head. He touched it absently.

“Oh this? This is the very reason why Atlantis became ‘lost’.”

I sensed that Loki was about to launch into a long speech, and I leaned against Tony wearily as my father stroked his chin.

“As you know, the Tesseract is of Asgardian making. But did you know that it had a sister-gem, called the Ledarmal? It was created by Asgardians here on Earth.”

“Wait, wait. Asgardians on Earth? Since when?” I butted in, confused, and Loki grinned at my lack of knowledge.

“Years ago, Asgardians held a piece of land on Earth, in case the Frost Giants ever returned. They lived here, in Atlantis, with a few select mortals. However, they grew restless at the lack of power they held, and so created the Ledarmal – almost identical to the Tesseract - as a way to control more than just Atlantis. They wanted to conquer the world. And they may have got away with it too-”

“If weren’t for those meddling kids,” Tony muttered under his breath.

I grinned as I actually understood the reference to the kids’ TV programme ‘Scooby Doo’. I had been on Earth for twenty years after all. Loki carried on as if he hadn’t heard the interruption.

“But then Odin sent an Army down here to Atlantis, to defeat the rogue Asgardians uprising, and the city ended up being wiped off the map, lost to the humans. These people that live here are actually part Asgardian, part human. They have continued to live here in constant denial of the outside world.”

I frowned briefly in thought. So it was possible for a human and an Asgardian to be a couple, and even have children. I shoved the thought to the back of my mind, like I did with all non-important thoughts.

“So that’s why you came here then? To get the gem?” Tony asked, and Loki nodded, smirking.

“This ‘gem’ here is twice as powerful as the Tesseract ever was. With it, I can finally conquer the Earth once and for all. I have an army of part-Asgardians here, ready to serve their king. Who could possibly stop me when I have your ‘Avengers’ team under control?” Loki laughed maliciously.

Tony’s arm tightened slightly around my waist for a fraction of a second.

“You don’t have all of us under control, Loki. And you never will be able to – literally. Eldrid and Thor are Asgardian, so your little mind control doesn’t work on them, Diana’s just a kid so she wouldn’t really be a benefit to you, and I ... well, I think you’ve tried that once and look how well that worked,” Tony said, grinning, and Loki paused.

“True, but I actually have a better idea. Guards! Take these two to the dungeon,” Loki called, and four Frost Giants lumbered through the door, reaching out to us.

“If you cause any trouble, Diana will die,” He promised us, and Tony reluctantly lowered his glowing gauntlet and didn’t fight back as they tore me away from him and dragged us away, through the same door that Diana and Thor went through.

I gave Loki a last piercing look before I was shoved through the doorway, heading down toward the dark dungeons of Loki’s castle.