Chapter 2: The Question

2. The Question

My eyes flashed open. As I remembered everything, panic filled me, and I tried to jump up.

But I couldn't.

I was lying in my red pyjamas on an uncomfortable, hard bed in a sterile white room. Everything was white, including the only door in the small room, and disinfectant lingered in the air from its last clean. I noted that my pyjamas had been washed, as the faint smell of washing powder added to the clean smells in the room. My chest ached slightly, but I knew the bullet hole was healed. Quick healing was a benefit of near-immortality. A huge mirror covered the wall opposite me, and I watched it suspiciously for a moment. The only other furniture beside the bed was a white wooden chair in the left corner, positioned so that it was facing away from the mirror but toward the bed.

A steel cable was wrapped around each wrist and ankle, pinning me down to the bed in a star shape. It was an undesirable position, and my back ached as I bucked up desperately, trying to free myself. I yelled at the top of my lungs, throwing in some Asgardian curses while I was at it. Unintentionally, as my anger went through the roof, my hands and arms set on fire.

The fire reached an unbelievable temperature as my anger flared, turning bright blue, but still the steel wouldn't melt. All that I succeeded in doing was make myself more frustrated. I stopped the flames in a heartbeat, and was quiet once more as I gave in. I huffed, and glowered at the ceiling.

Five minutes later, the door opened slowly, but I didn't look over. I was determined to be as difficult as possible. It swung shut loudly, hinting that it was made of something heavy, and footsteps sounded on the tiled floor. They strolled over to the chair, casually, and I heard someone sit on it quietly. They were silent for a minute, and curiosity won me over, so I tilted, my head toward the chair.

A man was sat peacefully on it, wearing a long black leather coat on top of a dark shirt and pants. His left eye was covered by an eye patch, and he looked at strangely at ease considering he was sat in the same room as an aggravated Asgardian.

"Who are you?" I spat, turning my gaze back to the ceiling.

"My name is Agent Nick Fury, director of S.H.I.E.L.D. I've come for a chat."

I laughed coldly.

"Untie me, and then we will talk," I said, the corners of my mouth twitching into a small smile.

He considered this for a moment, and then shrugged.

"Fine."

Agent Fury walked over, and undid the steel cords around my wrists and then resumed his position on the chair.

I sat up slowly, my eyes trained on his face. I didn't touch my ankles, and instead opted to just sit still.

"Your agent shot me!" I said indignantly, checking my chest quickly. Like I thought, there was no mark.

"It was necessary."

I frowned, but he didn't elaborate.

"What do you wish to talk about?" I asked politely.

"Your father."

I sighed wearily, and ran a hand through my hair.

"What about him?"

"Where is he?"

I wasn't expecting that.

"How should I know? You'd be better asking my uncle," I said shortly, and Nick smiled slightly.

"That's the problem. Your uncle doesn't know where he is either."

I frowned slightly, looking at the man in confusion.

"I thought that after your "Avengers" team stopped Loki, Thor took him back to Asgard," I said slowly. At least that's what I presumed happened.

"He did. But now Loki's gone."

I shook my head quickly, disbelieving.

"Asgardian security is unbeatable. No one can escape Asgard's prison, not even a master at magic, like ... my father," I said it reluctantly, not liking to associate myself with Loki.

"Well, clearly it isn't as good as you think. Loki's gone, and yet the Tesseract remains in Asgard according to Thor."

I thought about that for a moment, and then shrugged.

"I know neither where he is, nor why he would leave the Tesseract behind," I said bluntly, giving him a hard look.

"I don't believe you, Eldrid."

It sounded odd to have someone use my real name, but I disregarded this as I gave him a glare.

"That is your problem. I can't tell you the answer if I don't know it myself," I said darkly.

Nick said nothing and left abruptly, leaving me alone once more.