Chapter 17: Helping Out

17. Helping Out

"This is it?" Nick asked furiously, looking at Thor, Tony and I.

We were in the highest room of Stark Tower, which was basically a high tech lounge with various impressive-looking machinery scattered around the ordinary furniture. The room was circle shaped, and the wall was covered with classy red wallpaper with an intricate gold pattern printed on. The floor was solid, glossy wood, and I had to admit that it was a nice room.

I was lying on one of Stark's luxurious white leather couches, gazing up at the ceiling which was made of crystal clear glass so I could look straight into the grey sky. It was raining, which I knew was the norm for Scotland.

Thor leaned against the wall, deep in thought. He didn't even acknowledge Nick's question. Diana was here too, sat on a chair furthest away from us, absorbed in a book that she'd picked off the bookcase beside her.

Tony, wearing normal clothes - by normal I mean expensive and designer - was casually tapping away on a tablet. He glanced up at Fury.

"Yep, this is it," He announced, smiling slightly.

I looked over at him, and stared at his chest suddenly. I hadn't really noticed the piece of strange technology stuck in his chest, and underneath the fabric of his shirt I could just see a triangle of blue light glowing. I was a total technophobe when it came to human tech, and I looked at the glowing light with apprehension. How he could walk around with a chunk of metal stuck in his chest was beyond me. Stark caught my eye, and noticed where I was looking. He raised his eyebrow slightly, and then his smile suddenly widened.

"Hey, firefly, will you come and help me with something? I could use an extra pair of hands," He said casually, gesturing toward the elevator with a nod of his head.

I shrugged and got off the comfy couch somewhat reluctantly.

"Where are you going?" Nick huffed, annoyed at being ignored.

"Chill, Nick, I just want to test something out. That is my job, remember? I am a genius after all," Stark replied easily, already walking over to the lift. I followed with an apologetic glance at Fury.

"Don't be too long - we have a lot to discuss," He said finally, and I could almost hear Tony's eyes rolling.

"We'll be back soon, dad."

The lift pinged, and the doors opened smoothly. We stepped in, and I watched Nick sigh wearily before the doors shut. Classical music played as the lift went down, and I looked at Tony sarcastically.

"Classical music? I didn't think that was your taste," I remarked, and he shrugged nonchalantly.

"Honey, there's a lot you don't know about me."

A minute later, the door opened revealing a huge underground laboratory. Artificial lights came to life automatically as we stepped into the room, and I looked around at the amount of machinery in surprise. There was a vast expanse of space taken up by various chemicals and an advanced chemistry area, complete with gas taps and a shelf overflowing with different metals, non-metals and liquids. A conical flask was bubbling yellow liquid on one of the desks, and I jumped in surprise as something brushed past me, racing toward it.

It was a mechanical arm on wheels, and it grabbed the flask and poured its contents down a handy sink nearby. Stark brushed past and went over to his virtual drawing board. He pulled out of the screen a virtual representation of some form of machine, but I struggled to make out what it was. He brought it onto his tablet, and the 3D picture disappeared onto the screen. Tony glanced over at me. He put his tablet on the desk and turned so he was facing me fully.