Chapter 28: An Antidote?

28. An Antidote?

Breathe in. And Out. In. Out.

I shut my eyes and fell backward off the edge of the runway. I could feel the fire building in me as I became scared, but it was just out of my grasp. A feeble flame licked each of my fingers, only slightly better than the candle effect.

The ground came closer, the windows of the houses below winking in the sunlight, and I braced for impact.

Suddenly, Tony – clad in his iron suit - caught me in his arms, just a few seconds later than planned.

“Fear not working either?” He asked curiously, and I shook my head sadly as he shot back up to the Helicarrier, which was lazily flying across the sky until Diana was absolutely sure where we needed to go.

If she led us to the wrong place, it could be too late to stop Loki, but on the other hand if she took too long re-checking and changing her mind, Loki could beat us there.

He landed on the hanger, and set me on my feet. I ran a hand through my hair in desperation, and was surprised to feel tears prickling in my eyes. I fought to keep them away.

It had been over 2 days since Peter had poisoned me, and my powers still hadn’t returned. The only power that I had retained was my Asgardian healing ability – I’d been certain to test that out. Diana had nearly had a heart attack when she’d walked into the kitchen and saw me wielding a bloody knife and saw the deep cut on my arm. It had healed a minute later, which was a lot quicker the time it took to explain what I was doing to her.

“So now you’ve tried being frightened and being angry, and none of these emotions have made you burn like they should do? What are you going to try now?” Stark asked, and I walked toward the edge again, looking down at the village miles below.

I imagined that it was a peaceful life down there, and found myself almost longing for my old life, before Natasha had shot me and brought me to S.H.I.E.L.D.

“What else is there to try? Maybe I’ll never get my powers back!” I burst out in anger and sadness, wheeling around to face Tony. His mask was up, and he watched me with pensive eyes. I could practical hear his amazing brain whirring in thought.

“Maybe you don’t need to kick start your powers. You just need an antidote,” He suggested, and I threw my hands in the air in frustration. The fearful thought of being weak and powerless tore through my like a knife, making me angry and worried.

“Where would I get an antidote? The supermarket?”

“I was going to suggest that I take a sample of your blood and try to make a cure for the poison infecting your system, but because you put it that way … why don’t you go and ask for the cure at a local drugstore?” Tony said heatedly, glaring down at the floor, and I exhaled in frustration. I hadn’t meant to snap.

“Tony… I’m sorry,” I said quietly. It pained me to see him annoyed or upset.

His helmet snapped shut, and his eyes and hands glowed as he prepared to take off.

“Don’t worry, firefly, we’ll figure something out,” He replied slowly, and took off in a burst of fire.

He flew around the Helicarrier, as instructed by Nick, and checked various parts to make sure everything was working normally. Apparently Fury wanted daily checks from now on, and this job fell to a reluctant Stark. I frowned in thought as Tony shot past me again, stopping at a control panel near one of the huge rotating fans.

“When I’m cured, I’m so going to beat you in a flying race, Tony Stark,” I vowed.

“Heard that. And no you won’t,” Tony told me without looking around, and I grinned.