Chapter 26: Poisoned

26. Poisoned

Loki and Thor weren’t the only ones with supernatural strength and magic.

My flames burned Peter's hands, and he yelled, trying to pull away but couldn’t release my grip. I could smell his costume begin to melt. Suddenly he kicked me in the stomach, causing my grip to weaken as I stumbled back. He wrenched his hands out of my grip and sent a stream of web at me, binding my hands and feet together.

Before I could burn them off he suddenly grabbed hold of my arm and injected me with something from a needle that poked out of the end of one of his fingertips, like a stinger. My flames went out, and I felt weak. I tried in vain to relight my hands, but nothing happened. I couldn’t even tear the web.

“Do you like my Spider Venom? Banner and Loki created it – it’s strong enough to mute even an Asgardian’s powers and sap the strength out of anyone,” Peter answered my unspoken question matter-of-factly.

Confused, I wasn’t quick enough to stop him as he shoved me, and I stumbled back over the railing.  

It seemed like the world was in slow motion. I could see Peter leaning over the railing, watching me fall, and I could feel the air rushing past me. I heard the whooshing wind, and also the sound of … rockets?

All of the sudden, I stopped falling. I found myself in Stark’s iron covered arms, and he flew up high into the air. Vaguely, I heard Peter cursing.

Tony stopped and hovered a mile above the Tower, and he looked down at me through his mask.

“You ok, firefly?” He asked, and I shook my head.

“I can’t … I can’t use my powers. Tony, it’s Peter, he’s got this serum, or ‘venom’ that makes even Asgardians-” My eyes widened.

“Uncle!” I cried, and I pulled away from Tony in fright, forgetting that I was in the sky.

I dropped about two metres before he caught me again.

“Easy there. You don’t want to turn into an Asgardian pancake,” He said dryly, but I was too busy worrying.

“Can you get these webs off?”

A moment later a tiny gun was uncovered and rose out of his shoulder, and the laser it shot burned through the webs. I flexed my hands, and then grabbed Tony instinctively as I looked down.

“We’ve got to stop Peter before he injects his venom into Thor!” I said worriedly, but Tony hesitated.

“Maybe it’s best if you sit this one out, firefly,” He murmured, and I scowled.

“He’s my uncle, Tony, I’ve got to help.”

“But you can’t use your powers.”

“Are you doubting my fighting capability?” I asked stiffly, and I heard his chuckle.

“Not at all. But I … I don’t want you getting hurt,” Tony admitted, and I wished I could see his expression.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. Besides, getting hurt is in the job description,” I said flippantly, smiling, and he sighed.

We shot back down toward the tower. Peter must have gone inside, as the balcony was deserted. Tony landed, and gently released his grip on me. As soon as my feet touched the ground I stumbled forward into the wall, my legs feeling like jelly. Wincing, I grabbed the door and pulled it open before Stark could reach me, and I staggered inside. It felt like all my muscles were made of sponge.

Tony grabbed my arm, keeping me steady. I gave him a grateful look, and we ran to the lift.

“JARVIS, take us to the floor with heat signatures,” Tony commanded, and the lift shot down so fast I thought that we were going to lose gravity.