Ch. 1 // PS

On October 16 1979, a beautiful baby girl was wrapped up in a pink blanket. Lily knew deep down it wasn't James's. She couldn't see how James could look at that black hair and think she inherited it from one of them. Maybe he did know, but didn't care. There was no one else around. In his eyes, that was his daughter. As a rash decision, they decided to have another to complete their family.
.......................................................................

Severus peered into the boiling cauldron as he poured the ingredients in. The Dark Lord requested a potion to be made by the next few nights. Any of The Dark Lord's followers could show up at any moment for the potion, so he had to work fast. He half smiled as the potion was almost complete when he heard a loud and sudden knock at his door. He turned to face it as he grumbled as if something knew he was busy and was just trying to irritate him. It couldn't have been one of The Dark Lord's followers. They would've just let themselves in. No one ever comes to visit him. So who in the world was rapping on his door at this hour?

He yanked the door open and was about to spat offenses when he stared ahead and could only hear his heartbeat.

Lily Evans, now Potter, was standing on his doorstep, eyes as wide and scared as she pulled her coat closer as it was chilly out.

"Sev." She sighed breaking the silence. He blinked as his eyes were starting to sting and took in a breath. As soon as he broke out of his trance, his scowl returned.

"What exactly are you doing here at this time of night?" he asked with a glare

"I need you. I need you to help me." She begged as she tried to squeeze past the doorway.

Severus blocked her way. "We haven't spoken to each other in years. You show up, knowing good and well that I could have company over who would love nothing more than to see you dead, and you just expect me to help you? After what happened almost three years ago? You're delusional!"

"That's what I'm trying to talk to you about!" She said, finally getting into the conversation. Severus relaxed his shoulders and crossed his arms over his chest. He raised his eyebrows, though was still blocking the doorway. "I never talked to you after what happened because I felt so... so guilty."
A small smirk pulled at his lips at the memory, but he didn't allow himself to dwell on the past. "But there's a very good reason for why I didn't speak to you."

Severus remained unmoved as he waited for her to explain, his eyebrows furrowed once again.

"Lily, if you're not going to tell me then I must be-"

"No, no, I am, I.... I am." she said, sighing deeply as she gathered her nerves. "A few weeks after what happened, I found out I was pregnant," she said, voice small yet strong.

Severus's scowl disappeared, he raised his eyebrows in confusion, his knees buckled, and his heart dropped into his stomach. Lily shivered as she wrapped her arms around herself to ward off the chill of the autumn air.

"You... you were?" He asked, his voice almost cracking. His black eyes met her green ones and she nodded. "She's very beautiful, Sev. Would you like to meet her?"

Severus was taken aback. She? Meet her? As in right here...right now? He choked on his words, but settled with a nod as he finally moved out of the doorway. He looked behind him and noticed the potion still brewing. He quickly made his way over to it and stored the potion into appropriately labeled vials. Once everything was cleaned up, he quickly sterilized himself so as not to get the baby ill from the effects of the potion.