Ch. 1 // POA

December 1980

Lily struggled getting Clara's flailing arms into the sleeves of the dress. She knew Clara would throw a tantrum over wearing a dress. She always did. All Lily wanted was a nice picture of her two babies for a Christmas card she planned on sending to their friends and family, but Clara was making it very difficult.
"Clara, baby," Lily pleaded with her. "you only have to wear this for a few minutes."
Clara kicked her legs as Lily tried to put some black dress shoes on her feet. When Lily finally got Clara dressed, she lifted her up and carried her to the sitting room where Sirius Black and Remus Lupin sat. Lily plopped Clara down on the couch and Clara tugged the bows out of her hair and threw them across the room. Sirius laughed hard as Lily sighed out of frustration and picked them up.
"What's wrong, frogger?" Sirius asked as he set Clara in his lap. "Are you throwing a fit because you have to dress up?"
Clara didn't say anything. She squirmed a little Sirius' lap as she fussed over her shoes. She glared at Lily as she came back over with her hair bows.
"Here," she said handing them to Sirius. "Maybe you can get her to wear them. I've fought with her all morning and I'm sure Harry is giving James the same treatment."
Clara whined as Sirius clipped the bows back in her hair.
Remus chuckled and set down his cup of tea. "Calm down, you brat." he said jokingly.
"Seriously." Lily muttered as Harry's bedroom door opened. James came out with Harry in his arms, who was sobbing loudly. Lily cooed and took Harry into her arms.
"See, Clara," said Lily starting to bounce Harry lightly. "you're not the only one who doesn't want to dress up."
James lifted Clara out of Sirius' lap and held her above his head. "Oh my Merlin! Isn't this the prettiest little frogger I've ever seen!"
Clara's bad mood seemed to disappear instantly upon seeing James. She smiled brightly and laughed as James threw her up in the air.
"Stop calling my baby a frogger," Lily scolded over Clara's giggles.
"Why?" Sirius asked. "Look at her. James, throw her higher - see if she can touch the ceiling."
"No!" Lily passed Harry over to Remus before making her way over to James. "No one is touching the ceiling right now. We are going to take this photo and our children are going to look presentable -" she took Clara from James, "Remus, bring Harry over - and they're going to smile," she grinned at Clara as she sat her down on the floor in front of their decorated tree, "and maybe Petunia will send me one back." she said with a bit of hurt in her voice. James came up behind Lily and rubbed her shoulders after Remus put Harry down next to Clara. "Ah - who cares if she does or not. She didn't come to our wedding, she didn't respond to the post we sent her when Clara or Harry was born. She obviously doesn't care."
"But I want to keep trying," said Lily, looking at Sirius and Remus struggling to set up the camera. Lily rolled her eyes fondly as Sirius cackled after he threw the lens cover at Remus' head.
"Help them," she sighed before squatting down to Clara and Harry.

"Mumma," Clara gripped Lily's wrist.
"Yes, love?"
"Why Hawwy sad?"
Lily's eyes shifted to Harry, who was still sniffling behind his dummy. "Harry just doesn't want to dress up - he'll be okay." Lily gave Clara a chaste kiss on her cheek before standing back up and walking behind the camera. "Smile, you two!" but Harry only cried. He cried until Clara took his hand and held it. He blinked his tears away as Clara pulled him close and kissed him on the head before hugging him gently. Harry smiled and snuggled into his sister's chest.

*****
"I don't understand," Draco shook his head. "You ask to stay for the summer, yet you're about to Floo yourself to someone else's house."
"Draco," Clara sighed. "I just need you to cover for me. If my dad stops by or asks how I'm doing, make up an excuse."
"Why can't you tell him the truth?" asked Draco stiffly.
Clara scoffed. "After he's lied to me for eleven years? I don't think so."
"But I thought exposing my father would-"
Clara looked up at Draco curiously and he bowed his head. "Never mind."
"You thought exposing your father to me would what?" asked Clara.
"Make you see that this is what Snape wants for you."
"He wants my best friend dead as well as my brother?"
"No, he wants you to be surrounded by your own kind. Don't you think it's unfair that someone from the muggle world gets to learn the secrets of the wizarding world?"
Clara remained quiet as she closed her suitcase. She took a handful of Floo on the mantle and stepped into the fireplace. "4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey." she recited Harry's address and dropped the powder.