Ch. 7 // COS

"Detention for disrupting class," Severus shook his head while Clara cleaned cauldrons as her punishment. "Might I ask what was so important to interrupt your history lesson?"

Clara averted her eyes from Severus's cold stare. She all of a sudden had a knot in her throat. She cleared it before speaking. "I asked him about the Chamber of Secrets."

Severus raised an eyebrow. "Why?"

Clara stopped cleaning for a moment. "Because Mrs. Norris was petrified... and written in blood on the wall was that the Chamber of Secrets has been opened... Everyone is talking about it. And Professor Binns debunked all of our theories without even considering them. After he told us to not talk about it and to get back to our lesson, I told him that not everything you read in a book is true either. Honestly, if he read any of Lockhart's books he'd find that out for himself."

"I thought you liked Lockhart." Severus said softly smiling behind The Daily Prophet.

"I did...but he's just weird. The way he talks about himself all the time and now we're not even learning how to defend ourselves. He's just reenacting what he wrote in his books."

"You say he's weird as if he's done something sinister." said Severus. "Do you suppose Lockhart has opened the Chamber?"

Clara chuckled to herself. "The only thing Lockhart knows how to open are his own books."

Clara was shocked when Severus laughed. Like belly laughed. After he had composed himself, he proceeded with the lecture. "Clara, you have to understand that it's never okay to talk back to a professor. They're just trying to keep you and the other students safe."

"Are you really going to pull me out of Hogwarts?" Clara asked all of a sudden.

Severus cleared his throat. "How do you mean?"

"Well you told me if I broke any rules like last year, you would send me to a different school."

Severus sighed. "Clara, I'm just trying to keep you safe. I know you think you know everything about Harry, but you don't."

Clara stared at him blankly. "I don't even know everything about myself."
She continued to scrub. "You practically act like my mother didn't exist." she mumbled.

Severus quickly looked up at his daughter. He snarled as he made his way over and firmly took ahold of Clara's chin to make her look at him. "Didn't I just tell you it was to keep you safe?" said Severus dangerously. "You don't know everything for a reason --"

Severus's speech went in one ear and out the other. Clara rolled her eyes and huffed in her father's face. "Whatever."

Clara had never seen her father look so angry. He practically had smoke coming out of his ears. He turned around and slowly counted to ten. The last time Severus had to count to ten was when Clara wandered into the Dark Forest after lying about going to see Hagrid.

When he finished counting, he turned to face Clara again. "You have also missed three of my lessons recently..." he stared down at her. Clara had a small mischievous grin. "....and I really don't want to know why," he continued. "You have to make up some potions, so my personal store is open to you."

Clara didn't say anything as she finished scrubbing the last calderon. She grabbed her things and started to walk out the door when Severus continued his lecture on safety.

"No more asking about the Chamber of Secrets." he told her. "If I hear about you asking about the Chamber again, I will pull you out. Do you understand? . . . Clara, do you understand? . . . .Clara Lily!"

Clara didn't answer. She continued to walk and eventually left the classroom. She turned the corner and saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione, who were eagerly waiting for her to gain access to Snape's personal store.