Chapter 5~A Drunk Mob, A Girl and A Closet

This has been altered to match with the previous chapter (which has been edited). This chapter has yet to be edited so please excuse the terrible writing. Thank you.

* * *

As we walked we passed the same farms as normal, the sun shining down on us, however there were noticeably more people working the farms and they were all staring at us. I couldn't blame them, together we were two teenagers stripped of mud and dust. I tried to pat my legs to remove it but only succeeded in smudging it making my once purple tights into throw up stained looking pants with slight bits of purple here and there.

Jacob was no different with deep brown colored hair turned dusty brown and his blue jeans all stained. I trailed behind Jacob, sulking in his shadow. I looked down hoping I didn't draw too much attention to myself when I noticed a hot dog sized animal turd sitting in front of me. I jumped to the side just in time to miss it. I looked down the rest of the path and saw a trail of them. It was like walking on a giant game board and each turd was a chest piece.

I glanced up and a farmer stared me down like I was crazy. I focused back on the trail, jumping out of the way to not step on a turd. I ended up doing a crazy dance all the way down to the town.

Instantly I noticed the lack of generator hums and tractor engines. Instead they were replaced by the sounds of clip-clops, horse neighs and oversized men yelling at each other.

It seems no matter where we went people continued to eye ball us. Jacob's pace was exponentially faster suddenly with his head down dodging past trailers pulled by horses or mules. Was there some sort of Pioneer Day or celebration I was unaware of? I tried to keep up with Jacob.

"Where did all the horses come from?" Jacob whispered.

I shrugged and ducked my head down again. "Let's just get to the Priest Hole and clean our selves off."

I pushed open the door and was eager to strip my dirty clothes to change into brand new jeans and yellow T-shirt to match the sunny weather. "See you for dinner," I said waving to Jacob as he headed for the stairs.

I turned to the bar in front of the back door and saw men lined up at the stools as usually. What was strange was the man standing behind it. It wasn't Kev. Had he hired another man to work the beers? The man wore a bartenders apron, stained with spills of mysterious foods and liquids. He had a big bushy uni-brow and matching moustache that made me think he hadn't waxed in months.

When I neared the door the man stopped me with a big harry arm holding a pitcher of foamy beer. Some of it splashing out and onto my shirt, I barely flinched. "Where do ya think yer going missy?" He looked up toward the stairs. I turned to see Jacob about to take a step when he turned to look at me. "And you too lad! Now where are you two goin'?"

"Uh, to our rooms," I said puzzled. Did this man not know who I was?

"That so?" He said dropping the beer mug he had been filling. He perched his chest over the counter and into my face. "This look like a hotel to you?" He yelled causing spit to shoot right at my face. I wiped it off with the back of my hand, too confused and shocked from being rejected from my own house to be angry.

Behind me wooden creaks and scraps from chairs suddenly erupted and I felt the pressure of eyes on my back. I turned around to see most people looking at me then to Jacob. I looked at each of there faces. Non were familiar.