Chapter 17~Revelations Come to Light

The house was quiet with the absence of the girls. I noticed the supplies Bronwyn had said she brought back were piled into the corner of the front room. An assortment of fruits and various cleaning supplies stuffed the brown bags full. Yeah, Miss Peregrine sure loves to clean.

I peeked into the study to find Horace rubbing his eyes and tiredly, reading a book. He looked like he hadn't slept for days. Checking the kitchen to make sure Miss Peregrine wasn't there, I climbed up the stairs to find the end of the hall. No looking back now.

I slid my hand over the door frame to find a silver old style key concealed from preying eyes. With a twist, the door silently clicked open. When I entered a rush of dead air encircled me. It smelled like what I imagined a grandmother's perfume would be scented. The mustard coloured curtains were draped closed allowing the late-morning sunlight that peered through make the room seem yellow. I quietly closed the door.

It was a simple bedroom; a dresser, a wardrobe with a large mirror above it, a vase of flowers on a nightstand and a bed fitted with blankets that made it appear big and poofy. What did Enoch want me to find? I circled the room. Nothing out of the ordinary. I parted the curtains slightly, a view of the topiaries were shown. Then I thought, who's room is this?

I turned around to hopefully find anything that seemed like something one of the children would own. Nothing. My eyes made their way past a lace curtain and onto the bed. I froze - a young man was sleeping, sandwiched between the comforters and blankets. Enoch wanted me to find questions in a boy's bedroom as he was sleeping?

I took a hesitant step toward him. He was faced up and his mouth was parted open slightly. Not a single hair was out of place and even his cheeks were dusted a light red. He seemed eerily familiar. Wait, I've never seen him at dinner or playing with the other children. Who is this?

I don't know what led me to this point, but I rose my hand to touch his cheek, just to make sure he was actually there. I gasped then withdrew - he was freezing cold. I realized, with alarm, his chest wasn't rising or falling - he wasn't breathing. He wasn't alive.

"What are you doing here?" a voice hissed.

I jumped and screeched.

"Shhh! Quiet!" a voice whispered from the open door.

I turned around to find no one standing in the frame, at least no one I could see. "Millard?"

"You're not suppose to be in here!"

"I'm sorry. Enoch told me to come here and I was curious so-"

"Wait. Enoch told you to come here?" He muttered something under his breath.

"How did you know I was here?" I moved away from the bed.

"You left the key in the lock. Not a very sly move when you don't want to get caught."

"My mistake." I gestured to the bed. "But seriously, who is that? Why is he-"

The sound of footsteps echoed from the stairway.

"We can't stay here! Quickly." Millard yanked me by the arm and out the door. He swung the door closed then took the key from the lock and it floated back up onto the frame. "Come on." He pushed me into a room then shut the door, leaving a sliver to peek through. The footsteps led to the 'sleeping' boy's room. There was a faint click.

I decided to take this time to see where I was. The room was a dark green, curtains matching and drawn. A map was pinned to the wall above a neatly organized desk. The bed was made, the chair was tucked in and a filled bookcase leaned against the wall. The room was aligned like my room, except instead of a drawer there was a closet. Why is this familiar? My eyes widened-this room was familiar because I was in Millard's room.