Chapter 14~A Phone Mystery

I kept my gaze on the billowing waves that called after me to jump in. I knew how to swim, in fact, I even remember that I'd swam really well when I was younger. After the accident the waves tormented me, kept telling me to jump in when I was afraid I would drown and the ocean would take me like my parents. It wasn't hard to convince the captain of the boat I took to get to school to have a reserved seat on the top deck indoors.

These waves in front of me were so calm, but I've learned not to trust them. One moment they could be a perfect background for a summer vacation, the next a destination for death or lost ships.

Water sloshed at the corner of the beach and I turned my head to see Jacob running out the ocean followed by the others. When he first entered the pub I'd tried my best to ignore him, now I'd grown somewhat fond of him. We'd been in this great adventure together from the start and I couldn't imagine how it would be without him. Now that I look at him, the sun glaring off his wet torso and his hair still dishevelled no matter how wet it was, I think of him like an older brother I never had. He's sweet, funny and acts like a complete moron but in a way that makes me smile. If I didn't look at him through my eyes right now, I'd say he was pretty cute.

He neared closer to me and I realized that I'd been staring. I quickly looked back into the ocean, the sun bouncing off the waves into my eyes causing me to withdraw and look to the side. Seeing through my peripheral vision, he sat onto the blistering sand next to me and plopped down. One arm sprawled over his eyes while the other rest on his stomach. "Ugh, I'm so tired," he complained in a just-woke-up voice.

Emma sat next to him and caressed his hair. "Looks like you won," she laughed, out of breath.

The first time I met Emma she was holding a knife against the throat of the boy she undoubtably liked now. In the bathroom when I was washing the dirt off the wild goose chase she made me go on, Emma had walked in sad and hurt. She left telling me none of it was my fault. Now she looked as bright as the sun. Her spirit was unchallengeable with her determination. Mixed in with that she was, honestly, really pretty. Her short wavy blond hair bounced against her shoulders wherever she walked and her smile could make you feel special, like you're the only person it was meant for. Jacob had no idea how lucky he was.

Jacob cheered a spiritless yay then rolled over to face Emma, giving his back to me. I squinted and saw Bronwyn charging out the water like a bull while ahead of her, a negative body of water was trying desperately to crawl out the water and run for his life. No doubt Millard had done something to spark her fury of anger.

Inside I really hoped Bronwyn would catch him. Millard could be nuisance to the most simple of things and also really push my buttons. On the other hand he's this kind, understanding, sweet fellow who has the power to make you smile with just his words. He didn't have to push my buttons so far in, but I knew deep down he just wants to help. It's not his fault for trying to fix something that can't be fixed.

To me, Bronwyn is the mother of the house, apart from Miss Peregrine. She would bring the younger ones in, probably comfort them and tuck them in as well. She has a big heart and I admire her for it.

Hugh and Fiona were walking toward us, swinging their hands as they locked together. Hugh was grinning and looking into Fiona's eyes while she smiled at the ground, peered up to catch my gaze then looked to the side, smiling embarrassingly.

Hugh has one of those thousand dollar smiles that make guys want to pat his back when he'd won a race or make girls smile back to him. He's sweet like honey and is glad to help with anything. He's someone who can evoke joy and never let a person down. I was happy for Fiona to have him.

Fiona is a quiet and shy girl, obviously. She's like the grass and flowers she grows, only speaks to those who can hear her and her voice travels far and wide when the wind blows. She doesn't smile often, but when she does it makes my heart warm because you know every little thing she does has the most raw emotion in it. Normally those little things are around Hugh.