Chapter 18~Oh My God, it's Miss Avocet

Millard shifted on the blanket uncomfortably, thinking in his head how to word such an awful truth. "First of all, you must understand that Miss Peregrine near never talks about this. She's only told us the basics where as it's very complex. I imagine it's because she's ashamed we have such a flaw in our near perfect world. I, myself, have tried to search for more information about it, but no one's written guides or books of any kind. Even if they have, they've been destroyed. However, there has been rumour of some diaries or journals, but they're stashed away in the peculiar archives, making it near impossible to find them."

"Has anyone told you you talk a lot?"

"Everyone, as a matter of fact. So, back to the point at hand. Our peculiar world isn't just made of loops, ymbrynes and abilities. There is more, much more. Our world includes monsters."

I snickered is disbelief. "Monsters? Really?"

"Yes, you can't see them except for their shadows and they feed off of peculiars and fresh meat."

I drew back. "They eat peculiars?" I said in disgust.

"Unfortunately, yes."

"And Victor, these monsters killed him, didn't they?"

Millard exhaled deeply. "Yes. He said we going mad, staying in the loop, so he left. It was already too late when Miss Peregrine tried to save him. Luckily, we retrieved his body and he's been staying in the loop ever since." He chuckled lightly. "It's funny how he wanted to leave so desperately and ended up being forced to stay anyway."

I leaned back against the barn walls. "Then if they eat peculiars, why aren't you guys, y'know, devoured yet?"

"It's the loop. They can't pass through so we're safe, so long as we don't leave."

"So the loop's not only to keep you young, but also a barrier between hollows and peculiars?"

"Precisely. Two birds with one stone."

I grinned. "But of course, Miss Peregrine is the bird that saved you all."

"Yes, my bad. Wrong choice of words." Millard shifted on the blanket again, then cleared his throat. "Perhaps," he began. "Perhaps you should stay with us. It's not safe out of the loop and taken the circumstances that there may be a hollow on your island-"

"Wait, there's a hollow on my island?!"

"May be a hollow. I'm not entirely sure yet."

I gripped my forehead and rested my elbow on my knee. "By stay, you mean for a little while, right? Like, we're going to kill this thing . . ."

Millard didn't respond.

"Right?"

He remained quiet for some time until he finally cleared his throat. "Actually, I meant stay, as in, for good."

I slowly processed the information, trying to think of a good comeback. "I can't, I wouldn't belong here. I'm just normal, average . . . a commoner."

The sound of a hollow thump echoed through the barn and I realized it was Millard hitting his head against the wall. "I'm not suppose to tell you this." He sighed. "But Bird help me I will."

I perked up to his response. A sudden realization dawned on me. Millard was telling me this against Miss Peregrine's wishes, which means he could get in serious trouble. It doesn't take a genius to know this was out of character for him.

"Then why are you?"

"Because I want you to stay and be safe."

"I am safe, it's not like a hollow to just randomly pick a stranger to eat. Besides," I looked resentfully out the door to the sky. "I don't belong here."