Chapter 24~Awakening

Blank. No wait, black - has the world turned black? What is that? Is that . . . breathing - heavy breathing mixed with hollowing booms? Oh God, my head, it's pounding. My limbs, they feel like jello. Argh, is the world shaking now? Oh my gosh, is this the apocalypse? Holy crap, am I dying?! Wait, arms - two thick arms are carrying me bridal style. No, the world isn't shaking, someone's holding me tight against them and that darkness, I'm just closing my eyes.

My eye lids peeked open, and through the slits they created, an orange sky dusted with brilliant arrays of clouds took in the colours that were displayed before me. I breathed in what I could only say was a mixture between a gasp and a deep inhale before vigorously coughing, my head throbbing even more with every breath.

"Miss DeVine!" a voice exclaimed, out of breath. "You're awake."

I squinted in attempt to clear my blurred vision. A familiar face was raised before me, hair whipping and face red. "Br-Bronwyn?" I muttered. A sudden blow of pain reached the side of my head and I rubbed the spot with my hand, groaning. A rough patch of what felt like gauze had been wrapped around carefully, a patch of it sticky and matted. When the pain passed, I blinked again, looking at Bronwyn who seemed determined to reach somewhere, despite the crazed assault of bombs occurring on the island. "Where are we going?" I asked, my voice just a whisper, but yet caught on to the wind.

"Just a moment, Miss. We're almost there."

I tried to turn my head, but the pain convinced me not to, and I only managed to spot Hugh slightly ahead, his effort to run as strong as ever. I turned back to Bronwyn. "Where?" Another pain came and left. "Agh, why does my head hurt so much?"

"We're almost there, just up ahead!" another voice cried, however, it seemed unfamiliar and thick with an accent I couldn't put my finger on. It was then, I realized, a symphony of stomping footsteps had been playing this entire time - maybe around six pairs.

"Bronwyn, what - agh," I touched my head and shut my eyes for a brief moment, " - what happened?"

"You - huff - were hit on the head," she breathed.

I blinked a few times, trying to recall any memory of what she was talking about. Bits and strands came to mind - a web of broken glass, a cold, medal cylinder - I strained harder - a bright white light.

"Right there!" that same, thick accented voice screamed.

Bronwyn began to slow at a steady pace before making a complete stop. I felt my body being gently placed onto a patch of grass, mixed voices whispering around me. "Get down!" a specific and familiar voice rang out. I pushed myself up against my elbows to see what was going on. Around me, where I expected to see dirt, there was sand and it was then I noticed that waves were breaking and hitting against the shore - we were at the beach. Ahead, all the children were ducked behind thick bunches of sawgrass overlooking a small cliff that I realized was one of many Millard had taken me that night.

Bronwyn was kneeling behind the group, whispering something I couldn't hear then pointing toward me, to which everyone turned around and more murmuring erupted. Each of their faces were dripping with dread and horror, the usual lights in their eyes dimmed and glossy - something was wrong. Finally, Hugh dispersed from the children and they all returned to face the sea as he doubled over, carefully heading toward me before looking over his shoulder to something in the distance. After a moment, he continued forwards, smiling, but somehow, I sensed there was still a nerves tick to him. "Hey, Amber."

"Hugh, what happened? Why is everyone here?" I asked as I sat up. He held out his hands and warned me to keep my voice down, all while looking over his shoulder. I studied him, his face was red and wet from sweat. He'd placed his goggles in his pocket, lazily hanging out, and allowing me to see his eyes clearly. Like the children, they had partially lost their light and turned glossy - but something was different with him. At first I couldn't tell, like a mask had been placed on, but after a moment, I could see through it - his eyes were almost wild, a concentration of a crazed look and a suffocating terror, like a look you would get if a lion were about to pounce. What had happened while I was out?