Chapter 3

"Evil lurks behind the blanket of darkness."

- The Awakening

~*~

No Remorse

Chapter 3

Saskia felt her mind spin with intrusive thoughts, the time already wasted pulling tight at her nerves. She had been comatose for two weeks. Who knows what could have happened during that time. She could very well leave the city now, but knew for a fact that it would be even harder to retrieve her sword. It was precious to her, but could she really forsake it? Other than that, she was being summoned by a higher authority. People she couldn't contend with. A harsh frown darkened her face, the dim expression granting her odd looks from the guards passing her by in the encampment. A raspy voice called her attention all of a sudden. She turned to find the master from before staring at her with a sharp stare. "Has the boy pardoned you?"

Saskia disregarded the woman and was about to turn around when a surge of power headed towards her. She jumped out of the way instinctively, turning around with a sharp glower. The woman's face was screwed tight with irritation, "I don't like being ignored, missy!"

"And I dislike being questioned by meddlesome strangers," she retorted back calmly, hands having already withdrawn a pair of twin, runic blades. The act was instinctual which wasn't missed by the keen eyes of the woman. The sentinel's training in the small arena remained fighting, while some others couldn't help but stare at the scene. It seemed the woman's spontaneity was normal, seeing as none of them were surprised by her brash actions.

The woman--otherwise known as Master Aliza--gestured to her short knives with a wave, "You know how to fight girl?"

"Why?" she asked.

"How about entertaining me in a duel?"

"And why would I do--" she didn't even get to finish her sentence before the woman released another large ball of sizzling, jade magic. She jumped out of the way with an irritated growl, and moved once again as the woman continued aiming her magic.

"Enough of this foolishness!" she snarled, eyes flashing with ire. The amber hues darkened with a mix of blood-red as anger propelled her forward. The woman met her twin blades by grabbing a sword off of the nearest sentinel. A sharp clang was heard before they pushed off of each other. Saskia pocketed her short blades and ran towards a spectating soldier in a split-second decision. He startled at her quick appearance before his eyes widened as she grabbed his sword from his scabbard. He stammered from the bold move, mouth hanging open as she rounded on Master Aliza without another glance. She blocked an overhead attack before spinning out of the way of another.

The older woman's attacks were brutal and harsh, the force behind her blows heavy. But Saskia evaded and blocked each one effortlessly, her feet nimble and her body light as she moved. In spectating eyes, the sword moved like it was an extension to her arm but in reality, it felt too light, the pommel too awkward for her to grip firmly. Nevertheless, she continued in entertaining the odd woman, who had been grinning at her the whole while. Onlookers watched slack-jawed, the intense fight between the two women gathering crowds. Bets were being placed on who would win, the animated murmurs grating at Saskia's ears. She ran towards a box of crates on the side, using them as a stepping stone to spring towards her opponent. The force behind that move caused Master Aliza's feet to buckle. They rolled around on the sandy plains aggressively, grappling at each other to gain the upper hand. The older woman was able to land a hefty punch on Saskia's injured side. 

She grunted and jumped back.

"This is more like it!" grinned Master Aliza. She cackled as they fought, the pair of them moving with blinding speed. She noted Saskia's perfect stance and footing, her defence position highly protected. Yet, the woman quickly noticed that she had been favouring her right side heavily--as if she had been injured on her left. A curious gleam entered her eyes and she targeted her with her magic powers.