Chapter 8 ~ Leia of Malin

"And with a broken heart she collapsed on the very grounds they perished on."

- The Awakening

~*~

Leia of Malin

Chapter 8

"From here on out we will be separated for approximately five days. It is a two day ride each direction, with three days to find anything you can." Andre gazed at each and every one of his subordinates with a firm, unwavering gaze. "If that is all, I bid you adieu...and remember remain vigilant at all times. There are beings in this place that have proven to be difficult to deal with. The barrier will not remain for long. You will feel when it has disappeared as all types of negative auras will start to edge closer to your location. When that time comes you must remain alert and have a battle plan ready."

He nodded with finality, hands crossed behind his back as he assessed every one of them. "May the gods be with you." With that everyone said their goodbyes, Saskia watching from the side-lines. Her thoughts drifted to the one person she was doing all this for, wondering if he was even alive at all. What if all this was for nothing? What if he had already left her? Her mind recalled the will in his eyes, fists clenched and teeth gritted in pain but smiling throughout it all. He was a fighter, a fighter that smiled through all hardships.

He will be fine young one. He is as strong as you, do not forget that.

I know Adena, I know, she sighed heavily.

"Saskia?"

She turned towards the voice, eyes meeting golden, amber eyes. Her eyes were expectant as she regarded the shorter, dark-skinned woman. "I just wanted to say thank you."

Saskia's mouth parted slightly in surprise, not accustomed to hearing those words being spoken to her with such sincerity. "For what?"

Aaliyah reached forward and held her own hand tightly, genuine honesty in her expression. "For saving us. You knew the consequences of using that spell but you did it anyway. You saved every single one of us and I'm sorry I didn't say thank you earlier."

She cleared her throat, "No need to express gratitude. I'd have done it for anyone."

"That's my point. You'd do it for anyone, regardless." The woman grinned at her, pearly whites flashing before she withdrew from her and returned back to her grumbling partner. She watched the woman for a few seconds before averting her eyes, a light blush warming her cheeks as her words echoed within her mind.

Adena laughed lightly.

"Saskia, are you ready to depart?"

She nodded once before with one last goodbye they mounted their Sekhet's and bounded North. Andre was up front with her bringing up the rear, the air quiet between them as their thoughts wandered. Hours passed by with no indication of stopping, the sun getting lower and lower as the sky changed from a bright, sky blue to a darkened ocean blue joined with oranges and pinks.

Andre slowed down to a stop and jumped down, "We shall rest here for a few short hours. Let us dine." He whistled for the Sekhet to sit down and rest before withdrawing a bow and arrow. "Do you want to do the honours or shall I?"

She grabbed the weapon and placed the open container of arrows on her back, it secured around her neck and front. Her moves were silent as she trekked towards an open part of the otherwise dense forest. She closed her eyes and concentrated, hearing amplified to a sharper degree. She scoured for a beating heart when she found one; a deer.