FOUR

┌─────── ∘∘∘❁∘∘∘ ───────┐

HER

└─────── ∘∘∘❁∘∘∘ ───────┘

pre•tend
verb

1. to give the appearance of feeling or possession (of an emotion or quality); simulate

∘∘∘❁∘∘∘

My eyes burn when I open them and the warm sudsy water rushes in. Light pierces through sections of bubble and I'm able to see glimpses of the room above water.

That's how they feel sometimes. The things I want. In my line of sight, but always out of reach.

Tiny air bubbles gather around my nose and it tickles as my hair floats into my eyes. I just want to stay here for a little while longer, if that's not too much to ask.

Darkness consumes my senses as I shut my eyes, unable to endure the burning sensation any longer. My heart beats steadily in my chest as I focus on the faint music, eerily distorted by the water.

I kick my feet against the edge of the tub and slowly push myself above the surface.  My hair clings to my face in thick ropes as I gasp for air. Once my hair is tucked away behind my ears and my eyes refocus, I lean back in the water, reveling in the sweet sound of Erykah Badu's voice.

I feel light as I take a sip of my wine and nod my head to the beat. Wine drunk is my favorite kind of drunk to be. Placing my glass on the edge of the tub, I bite my lower lip as I ponder the sudden idea floating in my head.

Taking a quick glance at the closed bathroom door, I run my hands down my stomach and slip them underneath the water. At first, I'm a tease. My fingers briefly rub my clit, but I pull away and a deep sense of guilt washes over me. Why? Why should I feel ashamed to touch myself?

It isn't the act, but the reason behind it that makes me cautious. But I am too weak. I close my eyes and let my hands go to work. The water sloshes, and as my body grows warm, the water grows cold. Then it happens. I think of him only for a moment, and I gasp, pulling my hands away. It's too late. My mind is already reminiscing the ways that man could make me squirm.

I cross my legs, but the feeling doesn't go away. It warms my thighs and radiates up to my breasts as my nipples grow hard. Stop it. I press the heels of my hands hard against my eyes.

The sudden knock at the door makes me jump, and I pull the sudsy water to cover my exposed chest. Cara's head pops in a moment later and she frowns. "Hey Mom, uh...is this a bad time?"

My cheeks flush and I smooth down my semi dry hair as I lean against the tubs edge. "No sweetie, not at all. What do you need?"

"Can I go to Drew's house and study for my Physics test?" She always cuts straight to the chase. "I'll only stay for a little while," she adds, tapping her long fingernails on the door.

"Sure," I say, "but be back before ten. It's a school night."

"Thanks Mom." She smiles and I narrow my eyes in suspicion.

"Wait...Come here. Let me look at you."

Cara sighs, stepping into the room and my eyes widen as I take in her short shorts and tank top.