Privacy is Key

The week we all spent In Tuscaloosa was a complete and utter blur, Kendall spent most of her days at DCH, and if she wasn't there by herself we were all there with her. On the rare occasion that we weren't all crouded in the small hospital room, we lounged around on the quad by Gorgas library at the beautiful University of Alabama. Patrick seemed to be truly enjoying the lack of "celebrity status" (there aren't very many people in Tuscaloosa Alabama who know about the Chicago Blackhawks, let alone follow hockey at all.) He was really able to just relax and be "free" so to speak; and in the short time that I've known him it truly warmed my heart to see him so happy to be out of the perpetual spotlight he seemed to be in when hockey was in season. The ability to just relax and not have to worry about the public eye or spotlight has a strangely calming affect on people I for one was happy to be a part of it, even if it was in whatever messed up thing Patrick and I were. Kendall started picking up on it too, or at least I think she was, Tuscaloosa was like a completely different world because all we were seeming to care about was Kendall's family and ourselves, it was almost perfect. Key phrase Almost, I knew that at some point Patrick and I were going to have to say something to Kendall, but to be perfectly honest it's not like this is the kind of thing that you can just casually slip into conversation. In all honesty its not like I could casually bring it up, Like "Oh hey Kendall, how's Roz... i've been hooking up with Patrick Kane since Buffalo, Have a swell day!" See what I mean. It is not a casual topic. I decided that I would be the one to lay it all on the table, and I would do it alone.

It was a rare time that Kendall wasn't with her family, and Patrick was spending the day by himself at the pool. I decided that I needed just some girl time with Kendall so I asked her if she wanted to go to Starbucks, Kendall said yes so we headed over to Midtown Mall. I didn't think I would be as nervous as I was, which was completely ridiculous because Kendall and I are inseparable we are best friends and SISTERS. Yet the prospect of telling her I was Patrick Kane's "friend" aka side chick, was the scariest thing I've ever had to do. I mean I understood that It HAD to be done, Kendall's no dummy she's probably started to realize something's up or she already knows and has just been waiting for me to man the heck up and say something. We stood in line and ordered our trienta peach green tea lemonades, and then sat down at a table outside. Holy Sheep Shit I can't believe I'm about to talk to her about this. I take a slight breath in and let it out before I begin.

" How are you doing Kendall? How's your family doing and more importantly how's Roz? I feel like such a bad friend because I feel like I haven't been there for you enough, You don't totally hate me do you?" This was something that needed to be talked about first, because coincidentally I HAVE been feeling like I haven't been there for her enough this week at all.

Kendall looked completely bewildered at my babbling, Meaning she didn't hate me and she was completely shocked that I would even suggest that I WASN'T there for her.

"Lorraine! What the hell are you talking about?! Of course you've been here for me, in fact you've been more there for me than my own parents at this point, baby boo you dropped everything at a microseconds notice to come down with me to see Roz! Don't you dare think that you haven't been a good friend or sister because you've been the BEST of both and I love you for it. Roz is good she's doing a lot better and the doctors say in the next couple of days she should be clear and ready to go home!" Kendall looks like she's just beaming with complete and utter joy. I can't help but glow with her. Then she looks at me and shoots me a knowing smirk before opening her mouth to speak again.

"OH, and don't worry about telling me that something weird is up with you and Patrick, I had a feeling that the two of you have been sneaky little sneaks since Buffalo! I don't need to know details until there's really something to know. All I will say is DAMN GIRL get it get it!" Kendall bursts into fits of laughter and I start to laugh with her, I haven't seen her this relaxed or calm since we received the news about Roz. A huge wave of relief washed over me as well, because that meant that A: Roz knew Patrick and I had something brewing and she didn't care and B: She supported whatever messed up thing this was and probably wasn't going to say anything to anyone.

"Kendall, Remember he has A LOT to loose if anyone finds out so I'd appreciated it if you did NOT say anything to anyone please. I care about him and I do NOT want to ruin his rep or his career with a scandal." I looked at her with pleading eyes and an almost desperate look on my face.

"Lorr, you KNOW I'm not going to say anything to anyone about you and my neighbor boy. I'd hate to have either one of you in the media for something negative, so no worries boothang Y'alls secret is safe with me." We both looked at each other and just smiled huge grins. We decided that since Roz wasn't in as bad of shape as when we first got here, Kendall Patrick and myself were going to spend all day in Gulf Shores and Orange Beach the following day.

We're no dummies and now to make whatever was going on with Patrick and I more "official" we were going to need new places to make new memories, and they needed to be as private as possible- go figure, Privacy was the one key thing in a love triangle... and in Chicago there'd be none. This was going to get complicated and messy.... faster than Patrick himself could say "SHOWTIME!"

And we were so very FUCKED.