Chapter One:

~The Picture is Fang~

She stood in front of the window, watching the bloodstained sky as it began to darken. Tonight was the night. Tonight, she was going to leave this life and find her freedom. A flash in the window's reflection caught her eye; Caleb leaned against the doorway behind her, his eyes taking in her agile form. She returned her gaze to the jungle outside, not deeming him worth her time right now.

"Fang?"

She didn't turn as he came to stand by her side.

"Caleb," Her voice was smooth as silk yet as cold as ice. Hurt flashed in his eyes. He tried to take her chin gently in his hands and turn her face to his, but she denied him.

Instinctively, he started to reach out for her again... but stopped himself. He waited a moment, watching her, before reaching for her slender hand. She looked irritated but didn't pull away. "Is everything ok?" His voice was tender, loving. She remained silent, shifting her weight so that she leaned away from him slightly. It was subtle, but he knew what she wanted. Privacy.

A soft breeze came in through the open window, sending her long, light blond hair dancing around her pale face. His heart skipped a beat, the wind cool against his cheek. Caleb sighed. "Fang, please, won't you talk to me?" He lowered his head, trying to peer into baby blue eyes. She met his gaze, and for a moment a hint of uncertainty flashed deep in their depths. His heart ached at the vulnerability she so rarely displayed. But in an instant, her eyes once again returned to the distant, cold glint she'd carried for months.

She was tiring of their protection. "There's nothing to talk about." Her voice was steady as she turned away from him, returning to her silent reverie. She stared somewhere outside the glass.

But he couldn't just give up, not yet. Fire flashed in his eyes. "Look, I know something is bugging you. You know you can tell me anything, right?" He pleaded, brushing his fingers lightly through her hair.

She remained silent, stubbornly refusing to answer. He sighed, leaned in closer, and pressed a kiss to her neck. His stride long and determined, he left. It was time to send in reinforcements. If he couldn't reach her, he knew who could.

Fang sighed inwardly, staring after him long after he was gone.

She had known that this wouldn't be easy. They were her family, yes, and she loved them, but she was too independent, too proud, too free-spirited to stay. I can't take this anymore. I can't stand being here. I can't be a little girl forever. She couldn't stand the constant supervision anymore. They acted like a pack of bodyguards. It had only gotten worse since the incident.

For twenty minutes she paced, relentless, in front of the bay window. "Fang?" Jumping back, Fang twirled to face her newest visitor.

"Raven!" Placing a hand on her chest, Fang glared. "Don't sneak up on me! You scared the hell out of me."

Raven's red lips turned up in an impish smirk. Fang was sidetracked momentarily, taken again with how different she was than her sister. Raven's long, ebony hair cascaded down her back, and her dark skin and high cheekbones hinted at the Indian heritage they got from their father. Fang glanced at her own hand, as she so often did around Raven. Still pale, just like their British mother. Damn.

Fang couldn't help it as her eyes took in her sister. She had always been so fascinated by Raven's exotic looks. They were polar opposites.

Outside the pristine mansion, night had fallen over the jungle. The shadows in the room had enveloped them completely. Raven put a hand on her hip and tossed her hair, smiling playfully at her older sister. "So, you're broody. Spill. How's the planning going?" Fang winced and looked back out the window. Not well.